Block heater plug? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Horsehaulin, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 5361 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia # 81

Block heater plug?

Is there a block heater on these trucks and I just cant find it? Or did they not install them from the factory on some trucks? If anyone has time, please shoot a pic of where your plug is, I dont have the owners manuals, so I am up a creek for the moment.

Also, does anyone else have a problem of not having heat unless the truck is really warm? I have to be almost 190* to get any heat from the vents, otherwise it just blows cold! I need to resolve this issue fast for my lil ones, cant let them be cold whle driving down the road.

Thanks guys,

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

look behind the passenger front tire in that area it might be tucked away here is some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck plug 001.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	12781   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck plug 002.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	12782  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:02 PM

My cord stays wound up by the pass. side battery. It takes about 10 min. going down the freeway to get the heat going.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia # 81
Threadstarter

Ok I am almost at my whits end with the cooling system and I have had this truck three days now. The "Low Coolant" light comes on after twenty minutes of driving, no over temp though. I have now pulled over twice and opened the radiator cap and the coolant level jumped right badk up. Tonight I opened the hood and heard a slight hiss, listened for where it was coming from and could not locate it, after opening the coolant overflow cap the coolant again jumped back up and the hissing went away.

My question before I go to the dealer in the morning is this.

Do I need a new radiator cap? Has anyone else had this happen to their truck. At first I thought it was going to be head gaskets, but on a diesel at 136K, no way! Now I think the cap has gone bad. Am I wrong in this assumption? Give me some ideas guys.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Go get a new overflow cap. $12.
The old one is plugged. A bad cap can really screw with the cooling system. Also, with that many miles, you may want to flush the cooling system.

Look for the block heater cord taped along the harness on the pass side wheel liner, down by the exhaust manifold. There's enough cord to run it out the front by the pass. headlight.

Duramax's are notoriously cold-blooded.
Find a grill/bumper cover set (they're on Ebay right now....make sure to get one for an 01-02 GMC...the 03-up ones wont fit your truck). The covers will help with heat.

Secondly, check the cabin filters. Your truck will have them. If they are plugged up (which most likely they are -- people forget to change them), your heat/ac performance will suffer. The filters are found under the glovebox area.

If that doesnt do enough, you have to start looking at the HVAC controls...sometimes the HVAC doors will "hang up" and not work properly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia # 81
Threadstarter

TheBac, thanks for all the advice, I found the block heater plug. Its as clean as the day the truck rolled of the assembly floor. I will free up a outdoor plug this weekend and get a cord out to the truck.

I will pick up a new cap in the morning, I figured the old one was plugged. The system was flushed recently as it is not the orange stuff, some new redish colored coolant.

Thus far I am more than satisfied with the performance of this truck. I have a feeling I will be picking some brains until I know enough to be handing out advice.

Thanks again for the help,
Tony

BTW, when the heat works, boy does it work! Hopefully getting the cap fixed will help with the heat, if not, I get it fixed free with the purchase, so I am not worried in the least about the heat, just the "Low Coolant".

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 PM

Garage
I have noticed with both of my Diesels they take awhile to warm up... my Dodge was bad too. when i lived in colorado, I would just got out 15mins early and fire it up and go back inside, that way it wouldnt be as cold and the snow/ice would melt a little off it before i had to scrape it down. My chevy isnt as bad but I haventhad it in any real cold weather like colorado with my dodge. Anything you can do to keep the little ones warm in the time being is well worth it, even if you gotta run outside to fire it up 10-15 mins before you hop in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia # 81
Threadstarter

I think I got it fixed, and the heat too. It seems the prevouis owner had changed the coolant and did not read the directions on how to do such. There was an air pocket in this thing that took half a gallon to burp out, I parked it on an unlevel surface and filled it with the tank being higher than the rest of the system. That made it so the air would work its way out easily, then opened the purge bolt and made sure only colant came out. Thus far it is seeming to be ok.

I am praying that it wont need head gaskets, but it is still too early in the game and me owning the truck to tell. Another couple of weeks will tell the story. As for keeping the kids warm, I am going to get a smal cigarette lighter heater deal I can get from the truck stop. That will take the edge off until the heat gets up.

Tony

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode