Gauge problems?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by codyr6, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 831 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gauge problems??

Hi guys, I was in my truck with radio going the other night with my gf for about an hr or so and my batterie died, thought it was odd but was able to jump it off and had my batteries tested and they were good. I should have started my truck so they wouldnt drain, but that irrelevent now. My problem is my GAUGES ie. fuel pressure oil pressure, fuel, speddometer, and rpm gauges dont work now. But it says my mpg and range and average economy on the little cpu screen below them so they work but not the actual dial gauges. My theory is that the kid that jumped me may have yanked the ground cable of before the positive lead and maybe it discharged into my truck. What is the culprit for this? All my other power accesories ie. windows mirrors radio etc, are working fine just the Gauges wont respond. I opened the fuse box and couldnt figure out which fuses would cause this fault as none of them actually say gauges. Let me know what yall think, I hope it is nothing to awful major maybe a relay in the box (one of the 60amp fuses) I really dont know but Id appreciate any help or suggestions before I get a ticket for speeding!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
So noone has any ideas on what the culprit could be??? Maybe its a IGNITION fuse, cuz ussually the dials come on when you put the keys in the ignition, but none of the fuses looked bad. hmmm dont know
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

Might be the ignition, I have seen it on the cars, but have yet to tee it on a truck. I have seen a Impalla with lights and horn going on and off randomlyu when the key was on.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:41 AM

Sorry nobody answered quickly, but some of us have to work during the day....

Since you didnt post what year/model truck you have, I had to go back and figure it out.
You have an 03, right?

1) Are the batteries the originals? You mention you had them tested, but if they discharged in an hour, then I think you better have that test run again. Make sure they load the batteries SEPARATELY on the test. Chances are one or both are starting to fail. Could even be one bad cell in one of the batteries, too.
The cluster will not "start up" if it does not "see" enough voltage. I believe it was a min of 10 volts on ignition, but not totally sure. GM put out a TSB and reflash that lowered the startup voltage needed to make the cluster wake up, I think it moves the low voltage down to ~8 volts. You may want to check with your dealer to see if this reflash was done on your truck.

It was nice of GM to give us this tell-tale for low batteries, since the eye on the battery isnt very accurate.

2) Check your cables. A loose cable can show the same symptoms. Just be careful not to overtighten the bolts...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode