Tranny Cooler Line ????? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cumminspride, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 849 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

Tranny Cooler Line ?????

First of all this is for HorseHaulin's new truck, 01 2500 4x4 D-Max( he's on the road and called me).What's the easiest access to the the trans cooler line on the passenger side of the cooler? He said looks lilke the grill needs to be removed but not sure?? Looking for opinions. The line is leaking at the fitting.

Wade

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Geezus...who owned and serviced that truck before he bought it?

Only real way to get at the cooler is from the front.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88
Threadstarter

Anything specific about pulling the grill??

Wade

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM

hmm....01 GMC?

You have to remove the upper black rad cover first. I think that cover has 8-10 push-loc fasteners. Use a screwdriver to lift the center up, then pull the fastener out. Dont worry if they separate. Just put the center back in so you can reuse it.

I havent worked on an 02 GMC yet, but I did have an 02 Chevy. There may be a 10mm bolt holding the center of the grill. Remove it. There may also be 4 plastic twist fasteners on the corners of the center grill section. They look like big plastic Phillips-head screws. My 02 Chevy had those. If not, then they're just those metal hook-type push fasteners (like what holds the dash bezel on). There are also 2 of those metal hooks on the very ends of the center bar between the headlights and turn signals. Be careful pulling on those...you can create a lot of stress on the grill bar...dont want him to break it. You also have to watch it when you remove the grill so you can clear the turn signal lights, dont want you to scratch the lens' on either side. Also, there is a small clip that connects this center bar to the front wheel well liner on both sides.

It takes me longer to type that than it actually does to remove the grill.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

Well thanks again to Tom, I pulled the grille and found the tranny cooler leaking between the first and second row on the tank from the bottom of the cooler fittings. This is really getting frustrating, I havent been able to really drive the truck since I bought it. No fault of Gm or anything like that, this time it looks like someone stabbed it with a screwdriver. No I am furious to say the least. The dealer will be talking to a lawyer on Monday as I contacted one earlier on Friday.

Thanks again Tom, without your help I would have just ripped it off with the winch of the tow truck.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Stabbed it with a screwdriver?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!

I'm sorry to hear about your luck with this truck, Tony.

I posted in your S/V thread....call Merchant. He should have one, or know where to find one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

They also wired my EGT back up wrong so I have to fix that also, but I think after all this I should have a nice and reliable truck. Just have to get over the growing pains, thats all. I already gave Eric a call and left a message, hopefully he calls early in the AM Monday.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 AM

I dont have any coolers anymore, wont be of much help for this one.

Sounds like that truck is just giving fits HH. Not an enjoyable experience sounds like

Eric Merchant
www.Merchant-Automotive.com
Zeeland, MI
1-866-399-7169
ASE/GM Master Certified
AC Delco Independent Repair Center
Authorized Suncoast dealer/installer
State of Michigan Licensed Repair Facility
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 PM
BUG JUICER and

HH you have a PM.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:50 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

EGT guages work much better when the person attatches the wires after cutting them. I will have that fixed shortly now that I have found that problem. They even forgot to install my air filter restriction guage! I am having them send that to me before I run the truck again. If you cant trust a dealer to fix it right, what does that say about the normal persons car on the road.

Killerbee, you have a PM!

As for the cooler, its inevitable for those to go bad, might as well get a better one since I am this far into it now.

Eric, thanks for the post, you can scratch the call to me here in Fort Wayne.

Tony

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode