Loud Transfer Case Engagement - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kiehnk, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 781 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Loud Transfer Case Engagement

When I hit the button to shift into 4-wheel drive, the transfer case makes a rather loud clunk, seems to happen at any speed, coasting or under light throttle. Maybe it's normal, but my '05 Chevy gasser work truck is silent and smooth. Is there something that needs to be looked at?

Thanks,
Kacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 PM

YES! Have you noticed any oily film under the truck over the past year? Its a good possibility that you developed the TCase rubbing problem (pump inside case rubs case until theres a hole worn through, then all the fluid leaks out). Once the fluid is gone, the hard parts go fast after that. You're probably past the point where you can easily fix it.

You should check the fluid in the case. Even if its ok, there still coudl be something broken inside. Tcases shouldnt clank into gear.

Sorry its not something simple.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 AM

Mine makes it all the time. First off, I am not sure if the transfer case is a 'shift on the fly' unit. If I remember my readings, you need to be slightly moving, under 5mph, and in neutral. You didn't say if you are getting the noise if you are shifting into low or high range.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get the noise going into 4-high. You can shift into 4-high on the go, but not 4-low. There's no noise when I shift while stopped, so 4-low engagement is silent. The fluid is fine and I havn't had any leaks. I can shift my '05 gas 2500HD into 4-high at 45mph with no problems (Roads can get nasty in the winter here sometimes). Are they the same transfer cases?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode