Engine Block Heater cold start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tldrigg, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1937 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Engine Block Heater cold start

Does anyone know of an aftermarket engine heater for my 2003 duramax? It really hates when it is 10 degree's. Starts for about 3 seconds then shuts off. I have to continously crank for about 10 seconds and after my third or fourth time it will start. It acts like a petro car flooded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldrigg
Does anyone know of an aftermarket engine heater for my 2003 duramax? It really hates when it is 10 degree's. Starts for about 3 seconds then shuts off. I have to continously crank for about 10 seconds and after my third or fourth time it will start. It acts like a petro car flooded.
Dumb question: Are you waiting for the glow plug light to go off? Not sure what to tell you on after market, since it's probably a plug into core item, might try NAPA or something like that, or your dealer. Curious though, since you live where it's colder, how come no factory pre-install. Our Truck came with it, used it twice I think.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 AM

Have you looked for the factory block heater cord?
Its on the pass side of the engine, attached to the wiring harness that runs between the engine and the intake box.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys,
There isnt a cord that I could find so I am assuming I do not have a block heater. I do wait for the glow plug to go off.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 AM

I find that hard to believe. IIRC, all Dmax's came with black heaters. You may want to look again. Look for the harness in the area immediately in front of the fuel filter, running down toward the engine block.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Mine was under the inner fender liner, pass. side. Reach up over the tire and pull the liner back, see if it's there.

Sorry for the duplicates, don't know how that happened.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
SRW Cartell #27

I couldnt find mine until i took the plastic inner finder off and their it was under the coolant tank.:Thumbup:

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldrigg
yeah, they really like to hide those block heater cords. pretty short cord, too, once you find it. i only plug mine in for about an hour, even in frigid temps. just enough to start warming up that coolant. at my work my truck sometimes sits for 12 hours before it gets started, and no place to plug it in there. open area too. low wind chill values at times. my '02 lb7 has never failed me yet. starts every time. i worked for volkswagen for many years and an old trick that we used to do in the old rabbits was to turn the key, wait for glow light to go out, then switch key off and glow the plugs a second time. sounds foolish but my old '77 bunny with close to 200k miles on it always started in the deep freeze..........(not as nice as my duramax but it was one tough old car):Thumbup: :Thumbup:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I found it. I want to thank all that helped!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 AM

If you can find a 20amp electrical timer, you can plug the block heater into it and set it to kick on a couple of hours before you leave for work. The block heater uses about 1,000 watts of power. Leaving it plugged in all night is like having 10 - 100 watt light bulbs on. 2 hour's should be enough. I have to plug my truck in if the temp drops below 50 (low compression) or it doesn't want to start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode