Transfer case leak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mckey73, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 997 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Transfer case leak

There is an annoying leak coming from the rear of my transfer case that I think I have pinpointed, just wanted to bounce it off you guys. It seems as though the leak is coming from the slip-yoke inside the u-joint area. I'm not really sure how to explain it further, maybe I can get a pic up soon. Now I'm wondering if it's the "pump clip" issue (I haven't seen a leak in the case anywhere) or if it is a result of overfilling the case with fluid.

A little history:

1: Had a leak between the transmission and x-fer case post clutch replacement, so I pulled the x-fer case and replaced the seals as-per GM instructions.
(Many thanks to Dan at Midwest Transmissions for his help on the phone.)

2. Had a very bad leak at the x-fer case rear-seal and pretty much covered everything underneath my truck. I just thought everyone stopped tailgating here in TX until I fixed it. My apologies if you were behind me during that week. Attributed this to pulling the x-fer case twice.

3. After replacing the rear seal I would wipe down everything around the rear of the x-fer case and there would be fluid residue after driving it for awhile. Like 20 miles or more. The fluid level is not going down at all from what I can tell, but there is still build-up after driving it for awhile, especially on the exhaust where it bakes on.

Anyone have a pic of a case-half hole so I can really check closely?

Thanks for your help!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 AM

Pictures courtesy of DP members Windsolar and aquadon

Merchant sells the fix for it. Check out the link to his new site up in the Vendor Forum.

Last edited by TheBac; 04-10-2010 at 10:00 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Just reaffirms that my case doesn't have a hole in it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

I had a small hole in my transfer case after pulling a trailer to Wyoming and back to Michigan. Problem is internal and GM will not admit there is a problem or fix under warrenty. There is a fix on the market for this problem. Merchant Auto, Holland Michigan (www.dieseltech.com) fixed mine and put on a new transfer case cover and tell me that I should not ever have this problem again. They are a great diesel performance service for GM Duramax trucks and have a good web sight for information on any problems you may have with your Duramax.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtinker
I had a small hole in my transfer case after pulling a trailer to Wyoming and back to Michigan. Problem is internal and GM will not admit there is a problem or fix under warrenty. There is a fix on the market for this problem. Merchant Auto, Holland Michigan (www.dieseltech.com) fixed mine and put on a new transfer case cover and tell me that I should not ever have this problem again. They are a great diesel performance service for GM Duramax trucks and have a good web sight for information on any problems you may have with your Duramax.
Hopefully I'll be in the neighborhood in June and he will be able to accommodate. SW Texas is a long way from Holland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode