possible themostat problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by smokin dually, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 562 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
soot junkie

possible themostat problem

I am working on an 04. The heat hand is reading normal. The top radiator hose is hot as is the t-stat housing. Both heater hoses are hot, but the bottom hose and the radiator stay cold. The coolant system also stays under pressure, even after a 15 minute drive it will still not circulate. I'm not real familiar with Duramaxes, so any help is appreciated.

01 F350 CC Dually, DP tuner, fuel system w/Aeromotive pump, 360cc Stage III Hybrids, Stealth Big Oil, H2 Hybrid, Head Studs, Hypermax rods, balanced rotating assembly, Comp Cams valve springs and push rods, ATS trans fixed by BTS, Best 1/4 [email protected] best 1/8 [email protected]
2000 F250 6sp, Dp Tuner
Early 99 F350 2wd daily driver Dp Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

The lower radiator hose should be cold, or cool for the most part as it is the feed for the cold side of the water pump. But a 15 minute drive barely gets my needle moving on my truck, might want to take a longer trip and see if the coolant is boiling out of the surge tank. But if there is coolant in the system and it isnt losing any with the guage in the normal operating range while driving, then more than likely the system is ok.

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
BUG JUICER and

You really haven't stated your problem, everything you have described is normal. In the winter, under light load, only one stat opens, and then only for a squirt at a time. The motor needs very little cooling in these conditions.

Some folks in the northern tier, have a hard time even getting to thermostat temp, after an hour. The radiation and conduction losses are more than sufficient for cooling.

With so little coolant flowing through the rad, it is near ambient temp on the bottom, after being cooled.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
soot junkie
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input. The owner brought me the truck saying it is loosing coolant. It builds up pressure and blows it out of the overflow tube when the tank is filled to the proper level. Once it gets down a little it doesn't loose anymore. If this is normal just let me know. Thanks

01 F350 CC Dually, DP tuner, fuel system w/Aeromotive pump, 360cc Stage III Hybrids, Stealth Big Oil, H2 Hybrid, Head Studs, Hypermax rods, balanced rotating assembly, Comp Cams valve springs and push rods, ATS trans fixed by BTS, Best 1/4 [email protected] best 1/8 [email protected]
2000 F250 6sp, Dp Tuner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 AM

That actually sounds like the headgaskets are starting to go....

Some pressure in the overflow is normal. Excessive pressure means headgaskets. Does it stay pressurized for a while after running?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
BUG JUICER and

What Tom said.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
soot junkie
Threadstarter

I have only drove it once, but it was still pressurized after I got back. The day it was dropped off it set overnight and the next day it still had a good bit of pressure. Could I check the oil cap for more than usual blowby to check for bad head gaskets,or do these motors do that.

2000 F250 6sp, Dp Tuner
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 AM

My best advice? Call Eric Merchant. Only indicator I know of is the pressurized coolant tank. And what you describe is dead-on how it shows.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

Tom is on the money, my truck had the exact symptoms, and I talked to Eric. Coolant was disappearing through the overflow, excessive pressure, and heat through the vents was spurra****. I only had my truck three hours when I first discovered the problem. After a few phone calls and a few weeks, my truck is like new, and runs strong!

Tony

PS, have the heads and injector cups checked! Mine also had a leaking injector cup, they replaced the seals to that also. And replace the glow plugs while its apart, much easier now than later.

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode