i think i have a BAD problem, but i could be wrong. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by VictoryRay, this thread has received 27 replies and been viewed 1565 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

i think i have a BAD problem, but i could be wrong.

on saturday my 02 LB7 ran perfect (and it was @10deg. outside). that afternoon i put on a juice box and took it for a drive, it ran great then too. today i got in it for my weekly 335mi drive south. @ 100 mi into the trip i thought it started dieseling a little louder than normal, but didnt think much of(maybe i was paying extra attention to sounds due to the new box). another 100mi later the dieseling was REALLY getting louder.

i thought it might be some bad fuel, so i filled up again with BP fuel. it didnt really change much. it hasnt lost any noticable power, but does have a loud "dieseling" from what seem like the top-end, and the milage is down a bit.

im new to the diesel world, and have no ideas what to do at this point. i dont know if it would be from gel'd fuel(it was about 15-20 on the drive), dropped injector, bad pump, etc..

i need some elp please..

thanks, ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Did you remove the Edge box yet? If so, does it still run like that?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i did this morning on my way to work, and it sounded the same.

let me try and describe what it sounds like. have you ever used a long handle screwdriver to try and find a noise in a motor. you move it around from place to place trying to hear where a noise is coming from, while putting your ear to the handle of the screwdriver. the sound im hearing is like you put the screwdriver on an air pump. but its lound enough that i can hear it in the cab over the normal dieseling.

its got me a bit upset cause im not familiar with diesels enough to figure it out myself.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM

In order of cheapest fix to expensive:

Check the bale connectors where the Juice plugged in. Make sure all the little pin connectors are pushed in the plug and seated. Sometimes those things can get pushed back slightly and strange things start happening.

Check all the silver intercooler piping...make sure you didnt accidentally loosen a blue boot on one of them somewhere. It can happen.

Change fuel filter. You may very well got some bad fuel, just not bad enough to cause the engine to power down.

Injector went bad. They're covered to 200,000 miles/7years. Do you have a friend at a GM dealership, or know someone with a handheld tuner that can check your balance rates? Look at your dipstick. Does it smell like fuel or is the level higher?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ill check everything when i get out of work this evening. if i lost an injector, i would think their would be, at the least, some type of noticable power loss. i know in racing, if i dropped a cylinder, i knew it. i guess im just trying to talk myself out of the thought of having to injectors replaced.

thanks for the help

Ray McIntire

02 D-Max C/C S/B
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to madmatt
your injectors can go bad w/o killing a cylinder.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

if an injector was bad, would i feel a power loss, or hesitation, or miss, or something other than a noise? like i said, this is a new ballgame to me.

thanks again

Ray McIntire

02 D-Max C/C S/B
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRay
if an injector was bad, would i feel a power loss, or hesitation, or miss, or something other than a noise? like i said, this is a new ballgame to me.

thanks again

Not necessarily. Our injectors like to overfuel, not shutdown, so if one is just on the other side of good, it could run oddly.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok, so i checked the pins in the plugs and all was fine. i checked all the tubing and didnt find anything that needed tightening. i also changed the fuel filter, and i seamed to help a little, but now i do notice that it is down in power. do the injectors have a fuse or relay individualy, or are they tied into the same driver? i looked at all the fuses and couldnt find anything blown.

if it is an injector, what are some of the tell-tale signs to look for? what is the average milage the injectors are going out at, or are they just randome?

Ray McIntire

02 D-Max C/C S/B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode