Cold Start Croak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Bone stock 99, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 663 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Cold Start Croak

Well guys I kinda have a small problem. Its more annoying than anything because when its in the low 30's outside or lower I will go out to start my truck and I will turn the key on and or a couple times to let the plugs warm up. I than start the truck and let it run, it lasts about 10-20 seconds than acts like it runs out of fuel. I than open the hood and reprime it and fire it up and it runs fine. Mind you this is my first D-max, but Im not a noob to diesels. Im thinkin I have a weak transfer pump. When truck runs there is no fuel smell, odd noises or other starting problems. JUST IN THE MORNING:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM

It sounds like you are losing prime or its sucking air. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
GOT BEER?

You have air in your fuel line like what was stated above. More than likely your fuel filter.

AKA dmaxfan
2011 F250 Lariat loaded
2010 F350 King Ranch Traded
2008 2500 Z71 GMC Black Crew Cab, PPE xcellerator
2006 LBZ 2500 4x4 GMC White Crew Cab, PPE xcellerator, 6" BDS lift, 18" procomp extreme alloy, 35/12.5/18 Toyo MTs
2004 LB7 4x4 GMC Sierra Sport Red Metallic- [email protected],500 miles
Ext. Cab Short Box
Predator Programmer MBRP 4" S.S. Exhaust
K&N Air intake & Bilsteins
ISSPRO Turbo & Exhaust gauges
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i just dont get why it only does it when its cold out. I can park it for 8 hours overnight and it will do it in the morning when I go and start it but if its over 40 degrees I can let it sit for the whole weekend and no problems starting it. I guess the thing to do would be to do a fluid and filter change. I just got the truck about three weeks ago and all fluids look good and filters are new. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help and any and all new ideas appreciated.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
BUG JUICER and

perhaps a clogged pickup. But FF change is the first thing.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

There is a check valve in the in the fuel filter housing that tends to go bad and acts the worst when the fuel is cold and is more diffecult to pull through the line. Changing of the fuel filter is the first thing to try, being sure you remove the old filter seal and installing the new on properly. I put grease on the oring to make sure it stayed in place while reinstalling.

Hope this helps and I hope that the check valve is not bad.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM

1) There is a block heater cord on the pass side of the engine, in the wire loom that runsdown to the engine between the airbox and coolant tank. Unwrap that cord, and plug your truck in at night when the temps will be below 30*. Using a timer to turn the heater on for a couple hours in the AM before you leave is a good idea. It'll help your glowplugs when you start your truck in the AM.

2) You shouldnt have to cycle the glowplugs in a Dmax more than once, even in 30* weather. Doing it more than that just drains your batteries. I've never had to cycle more than the one time to start, even in 0* temps.

3) Your fuel staving problem is probably as above....clogged fuel filter or leaking O-ring at the filter. Change the filter out and see what happens.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 PM

How many tanks of fuel have you gone through? Maybe bad fuel too.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4" straight exhaust, BD manifold, intake, Air Dog 150 lift pump, BD Supermax turbo, Suncoast Stage IV, Isspro EV2 gauges, EFI Live w/DSP 5 tuned by Xtreme FX Tuning.

Canadian Club Member #6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode