Newbie with Cranking Problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by shadekatt, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 547 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Newbie with Cranking Problem

Hello All,
I recently purchased my first diesel pickup and I love it. Itís a 2003 HD2500GMC and Iím having some cranking problems. The truck cranks fine when itís cold but after driving it 30 miles or so and stopping for 30 minutes it doesnít want to crank. This has happened twice in the past week. It will eventually crank after several attempts but you really have to grind on the starter. It may do this once in a day and not do it again for a day or two. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

If the starter is grinding then you have a bad spot on either the flywheel or flexplate. Or the starter is being affected by the heat and not kicking out totally, that would indicate a bad starter and it is time for replacement before for you create a bad spot on the before mentioned parts. If you can take it out on your own, remove it, take it to a starter/alternator rebuild shop and have them rebuild it for you, that will save you some money. We do it on all the trucks in my dads fleet.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I’m sorry I probably didn’t make myself very clear. The starter is engaging fine and the engine is turning over good but it just won’t start if it’s warm. It will start fine if it’s cold but after it warms up it just will not start at all. You can let it sit for several hours and it will start fine. I’ve checked all the temp gauges and it’s not getting hot or anything like that. It acts like it’s not getting fuel for some reason.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

I am going to bow out of this one and let one of the other more experienced guys help you out, this one is above me at this time, not enough time owning a Dmax myself.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 AM

There are a couple of things that could cause this. The most common one is low fuel pressure due to high fuel return from the injectors. When the engine is hot the fuel is also hot and will be a little thinner causing lower fuel pressure and a no start condition. You need to find a good gm diesel mechanic and have them check the fuel pressure hot and cold. It might be time for a set of injectors under the special policy. Don't wait too long or it will not start at all.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
strokenasty

x2, injectors need replaced due to high return rates

2003 GMC Lb7 EXT CAB SHORT BED w/ parts on it....:evil:
MERCHANT AUTOMOTIVE

SOLD:2001 Ford F-250 4x4:109,098 Miles, Autometer Ultralite Gauges(Pyro,Trans,Boost), TS Chip(high idle,stock,50,75,100,140+ settings: PureDieselPower), 6.5 Inch Pro Comp lift 315/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, Banks Transcommand, Banks Exhaust,Wicked Wheel(Dieselsite), Engine/Intercooler Boots(Dieselsite), AirForceOne Intake, Husky Floor Liners, Boost Tube(PureDieselPower), Zoodad Mod Boost Relief Valve(PureDieselPower) HX Mod(DieselSite), Regulator Shim Kit:65 psi(DieselInnovations), Amsoil in engine(5W-30 HDD),transmission(ATF),front/rear differentials(Severe Gear 75W-90 Front,75W-140 Rear),Amsoil dual by-pass filtration, Coolant Filter(Dieselsite) 203 Stat(Dieselsite), Evans NPG+Coolant(Dieselsite) TQ Lockup(Dfuser)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode