The Diesel Garage banner

Starting issues???

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TheBac 
#1 ·
My friends 03 occasionally will not start in colder temperatures. (-18 or lower). A small shot of ether will sometimes make it fire.
He says it sometimes will partially fire on the first start and then shut down. Continuing to crank after that initial try just spins the motor without firing it...

The truck has an aftermarket transfer flow 45 gallon fuel tank. (under bed)
Could this be a fuel pickup issue due to the aftermarket tank? The tank was installed last summer and this is his first winter with the truck.

He never had any issues after the tank install, until winter hit.

Please advise?

#2 ·
Has he tried priming the fuel filter when it does not fire? Has he tested the glow plug controller? does his truck fit into the glow plug recall, and has it been done. Is there any smoke when it fires the first hit then dies out?

Just a side note, I have seen the heads blown off of a Dmax from a lot porter at a big dealer shooting some ether in it. Ether is a bad idea!

Tony

#3 ·
Thanks..I'll talk to him and find out.

#4 ·
If it doesnt start, and is blowing white smoke while trying, it means there is unburnt fuel. Likely caused by glow plug issues. If that is not the case, then he needs to look else where and give us a few more symptoms.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.