The Diesel Garage banner

What you think?

688 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Horsehaulin 
#1 ·
My dad just bought an 04 d-max. What programmer you think he should run. He dont want a race truck and a guy he works with has basically talked him out of efi live (which is what i was pushing for) so now we are back to square one. Ive got an old tri dog layin round the house that hes runnin right now. He wants milage and a little gitty up. Ive been checkin on ppe but dont know which one. He just got out of a gas burner and finally hes gettin addicted to the smoke! But he dont want nothin special but he wants a lil smoke! Thanks Guys

#2 ·
Being a use of EFI Live, I say buy it, but if a co-worker talked him out of it, then I would go with PPE. PPE works on the same basic principle, but it is less involved as it is a hand held programmer. Still changes the tuning software in the ECM instead of fooling the ECM by being tapped in later in the wiring. If you know what I mean.

From what I hear PPE uses more fuel, but it will give him more power and economy. If he doesnt want the top of the line then just get the economy tuner from PPE. Most with stock trans are happy with it.

Tony

#3 ·
Yeah told him bout efi live and basically buildin what he wants and the guy that talked him out of it had bad experiences with it cause he made his own tunes and didnt know what he was doin. So thats what kind of person is puttin bad stuff in his ear. A guy down here sales it and told him he will build him one tune but i dont think hes for it. Is anybody gettin any kind of milage with ppe! What have yall been gettin for the norm. He drive pretty normal. Doesnt usually have a heavy foot. Thanks guys!

#4 ·
Most running PPE are running the 220HP tune for the best economy. That tune and bigger seem to get the best from what I have heard. But when you run 220HP at the crank you are running around 175 at the rears, and that is gambling on a stock trans.

Tony

#5 ·
I've got juice with attitude on mine right now (waiting on m buddy to get his so we can build me a tune but as of right now i love my edge on my door dually, i get around 16 1/2 -17mpg around town haven't really drove it on the highway by itself to tell every time i've been on the road i've been pulling a buddys truck to the pull and got about 12.

But i love the adjustablity, i had the 220hp ppe on mine and ran a 1/8 mile track in 9.8 switched to juice with hot unlock and ran a 9.6 on the same track. Seems to be more responsive with the juice,Mine is 4 sale if you would be interested,the only reason im getting rid of it is cause im getting a tranny and turbo.

#6 ·
Check your PM!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.