Need advice Intake, Exhaust, and or programer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Ansager, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 966 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Need advice Intake, Exhaust, and or programer

My best friends dad is looking to put an intake and exhaust on his gmc duramax. he wants to get more mpg b/c he started a hauling business. So what i am asking is what type of intake and exhaust should he get to get the best results for the best price.

he is looking for something that it won't take long to get his money back on. the truck is completely stock except for tires.

also i was looking at some programmers for it and was wondering if it would be cheaper and better to just get a programmer instead.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansager View Post
My best friends dad is looking to put an intake and exhaust on his gmc duramax. he wants to get more mpg b/c he started a hauling business. So what i am asking is what type of intake and exhaust should he get to get the best results for the best price.

he is looking for something that it won't take long to get his money back on. the truck is completely stock except for tires.

also i was looking at some programmers for it and was wondering if it would be cheaper and better to just get a programmer instead.

thanks
I think if you open the exhaust to 4" and put a better intake on this will help. I have tried two programs nether helped the MPG. I changed to Amsoil and not only am I able to go longer drain intervals I got better fuel mileage.
Note: I do have a by-pass filter.

So if I were looking to help my bottom line extending my oil drains save me time and money.
Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 PM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post
I think if you open the exhaust to 4" and put a better intake on this will help. I have tried two programs nether helped the MPG. I changed to Amsoil and not only am I able to go longer drain intervals I got better fuel mileage.
Note: I do have a by-pass filter.

So if I were looking to help my bottom line extending my oil drains save me time and money.
Bill
Another opportunity to push your product eh Bill?

ok a mild tune will yeild the greatest results in Mpg, as long as the tune is below 100hp, and the drivers right foot stays off the floorboards, you can get pretty good increase in mileage, however gauges will be needed if a tuner is used, a mild tuner such as the diablosport predator will cost right around $400 if not less, and gauges will set you back about $150 or so

an intake is NOT needed, unless he starts drag racing and wants his truck to make 500hp or more, a Cold air intake is a HUGE waste of money

as for exhaust, any good quality 4" exhaust will do, as long as its mandrel bent and has a high flow muffler, you can get them for as cheap as $300-400 dollars, plus then sound super cool

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks a bunch will give him the info any other suggestions are welcome as well
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 AM

Agreed with BWR on all points, including the shameless plugs...

Intake is NOT needed on trucks under 500rwhp. Its already been researched and the OEM intake with a typical ACDelco filter was the best overall.

4" exhaust is a good idea though. Pretty much any mfg is good. I run a Silverline and am happy with it.
Another idea is to get a mild mileage program for the truck. In this case, a Predator or Quad can get you a bit more power plus mileage gains.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBac For this addition to TDG:
BriteWhiteRam (02-24-2009)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
I don't mean to but heads here but after I installed the 4" exhaust I sucked down my filter minder every time I romped on it after intake filter minder is fine. So I believe both go hand in hand.

Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Agreed with BWR on all points, including the shameless plugs...

Intake is NOT needed on trucks under 500rwhp. Its already been researched and the OEM intake with a typical ACDelco filter was the best overall.

4" exhaust is a good idea though. Pretty much any mfg is good. I run a Silverline and am happy with it.
Another idea is to get a mild mileage program for the truck. In this case, a Predator or Quad can get you a bit more power plus mileage gains.

Thanks Tom, and i agree about the intake, GM designed an awesome intake, its pretty hard to top, you WILL NOT need an intake untill 500hp or more, PERIOD, its been proven time and again

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode