Injectors(taken from the need advice thread) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by woodyh61, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1378 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Injectors(taken from the need advice thread)

the only problem with a ramer is that if the vechile is still under warrnery any program you put in voids it I talking about the 7yr. 200,000 mile on the injectors. GM has given the dealers a thing that will show the last 10 settinys
on the OBD if it shows up and your injectors need replaced or whatever they
do it, about 3600 cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Thats been rumored for years....but GM has to prove the tuner was the thing that caused the issue...and thats not the case with injectors. Dirty fuel, poor design and uneven operating voltages are some of the contributing factors to injector failure
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyh61 View Post
the only problem with a ramer is that if the vechile is still under warrnery any program you put in voids it I talking about the 7yr. 200,000 mile on the injectors. GM has given the dealers a thing that will show the last 10 settinys
on the OBD if it shows up and your injectors need replaced or whatever they
do it, about 3600 cost
And that really only works on the LBZ/LMM because of the CAN-bus ECM, the older trucks arent as easy to trace if a tuner was used

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Thats been rumored for years....but GM has to prove the tuner was the thing that caused the issue...and thats not the case with injectors. Dirty fuel, poor design and uneven operating voltages are some of the contributing factors to injector failure
okay how do you go about proving that it was the design ,etc that caused it and not the tuner that caused it to fail,
as far as the fuel I have always used a addative when ever I fill up
I talked to the service manger at the dealer and he was telling me it made no difference because of the tuner that would shoot it down I only have 78000 miles on my truck 2004
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
okay how do you go about proving that it was the design ,etc that caused it and not the tuner that caused it to fail,
as far as the fuel I have always used a addative when ever I fill up
I talked to the service manger at the dealer and he was telling me it made no difference because of the tuner that would shoot it down I only have 78000 miles on my truck 2004

1) Ever noticed that injector failures happen to trucks that run tuners AND to trucks that have remained stock?
2) Injector failures have happened to trucks that run additives AND to trucks that run #2 straight.
3a) Injector failures happen to trucks with secondary filtration AND to trucks that only run the OEM filter.
3b) Failures happen to guys who change their filters religiously and those that have 30,000 miles on the same filter.
4) Ever noticed that LLYs and LBZs DO NOT have widespread injector issues like LB7s? The injector design was changed in the LLY, and the LBZ uses injectors very close in design to the LLY.
5) Ever noticed that injector failures seem to rise when the weather gets colder?
6) Ever noticed that injector failure rates rise just about the time a person posts that they're having issues with their batteries or some other electrical issue?

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=279174
Place member "Oddplanes" has come up with some very interesting theories concerning the voltage that the injectors run on and how "clean" the power is. LB7s use 96volts, LLY 48volts, LBZ 24volts. The rate of failure drops off significantly as the firing voltage lowers in the later designs.

In the end, the only variables that consistantly point at the LB7 injector are the injector's design, its electronics and its supply voltage. If it were anything else, all the Dmax engine variants would have failures, let alone all the VW TDIs, Powerstrokes, and Cummins motors....

I could go on and on...but why? You're convinced that tuners are the only cause for injector failures.

Last edited by TheBac; 02-28-2009 at 02:56 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

injectors

Quote:
1) Ever noticed that injector failures happen to trucks that run tuners AND to trucks that have remained stock?
2) Injector failures have happened to trucks that run additives AND to trucks that run #2 straight.
3a) Injector failures happen to trucks with secondary filtration AND to trucks that only run the OEM filter.
3b) Failures happen to guys who change their filters religiously and those that have 30,000 miles on the same filter.
4) Ever noticed that LLYs and LBZs DO NOT have widespread injector issues unlike LB7s? The injector design was changed in the LLY, and the LBZ uses injectors very close in design to the LLY.
5) Ever noticed that injector failures seem to rise when the weather gets colder?
6) Ever noticed that injector failure rates rise just about the time a person posts that they're having issues with their batteries or some other electrical issue?

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=279174
Place member "Oddplanes" has come up with some very interesting theories concerning the voltage that the injectors run on and how "clean" the power is. LB7s use 96volts, LLY 48volts, LBZ 24volts. The rate of failure drops off significantly as the firing voltage lowers in the later designs.

In the end, the only variables that consistantly point at the LB7 injector are the injector's design, its electronics and its supply voltage. If it were anything else, all the Dmax engine variants would have failures, let alone all the VW TDIs, Powerstrokes, and Cummins motors....

I could go on and on...but why? You're convinced that tuners are the only cause for injector failures.
No I am not conviced that tuners are the cause. I was just saying what I was told. I am not to up on these Dmaxs, this is my first one. At about what mileage do they stat giving problems? Or is there a certain point that I might start have problems? The reason I use an addtive is a buddy of mine has 2 cummings and 4 18 wheelers and always uses an addtive never has had an injector problem
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
No I am not conviced that tuners are the cause. I was just saying what I was told. I am not to up on these Dmaxs, this is my first one. At about what mileage do they stat giving problems? Or is there a certain point that I might start have problems? The reason I use an addtive is a buddy of mine has 2 cummings and 4 18 wheelers and always uses an addtive never has had an injector problem
There is no "time table" on when injectors can go bad. Some people have had 3 sets in 100,000 miles, some people, like me, have 145,000 miles on the originals. Theres something there that makes some last and others not...

My advice to you is "dont believe everything you hear at a dealership".
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 AM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
we will make this its own thread.

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I had to have mine replaced at 128K and I run a tuner all the time on my truck. I use the Hypertech. One day I went out and there was oil under my truck and they oil level was very high. The oil also looked very thin and not very viscous. I checked and I had diesel fuel in my crankcase. Called the dealership that I deal with and they fixed it no problem. They told me that the recall that GM had is for bad O rings on the injectors and also the design does not help. Watch your oil level is the best advice I can give you. I wouldn't have known what to do, but I logged onto TDG and same as you got some real good advice. 133K now and no issues.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to madmatt
Quote:
Actually that is is big misconception,,,, gm just has to prove you modified the vehicle to operate outside of the factory parameters which programmers do. it then falls to the consumer to prove the programmer did not cause the failure. MM is in place to mainly let consumers run non OEM filters and maintenance items w/out the fear of voiding warr. Say if you have a Wix filter and shell oil and your engine blows,,, GM can't say it was the oil and filter that caused it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode