Few Questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by gsphunter, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 723 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Few Questions

You guys have always been an excellent resource whenever my truck gives me fits, which is not often. I've got a couple issues right now that I wanted to see if I could get some help with.

I just got back from about a 250 mile round trip on Sat evening, and after driving on the highway with no problems almost the whole way, my truck started acting up when coming to a stop. It was downshifting hard with a noticeable clunk as I was slowing down or right as I stopped. It was also idling higher than normal, which is probably what is causing the hard down shift. My first thought was an NSBU switch, but I'm not really sure. The shift column seems to be indicating the correct gear and it had no problems going into OD, which was what happened last time this went out.

I've also got my SES light on. When Auto Zone pulled the code, they said it was either an 02 sensor or MAF sensor. I didn't get the actual code. The truck is hazing white smoke when started cold, but clears up shortly after start up. I was thinking this could be from sitting for long periods of time, but not sure.

Any thoughts on any of this would be great. Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I've got some updates on my problems. I cleaned the MAF and replaced the air filter. The SES light went off.

While looking for the source of the clunk feeling I found a completely thrashed carrier bearing, so I replaced it thinking that could be the source of the clunk, but no such luck.

I'm leaning towards the Neutral Safety unit, but I'm not completely sold on this yet. Does anybody know if the unit can cause the truck to idle higher than normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode