Injectors - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 92,twinz, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1129 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Injectors

I have an 04 Duramax, and it is starting to smoke, (greyish black), pretty bad, and I know the injectors are under warranty for 200k. So I took the truck to the dealer had them change oil, diag the smoke, flush trans, and change fuel filter. They said the smoke was from the flow rate is off in the injectors due to build up on the end of the injectors creating a drip and not a nice spray. They said the injectors need to be replaced, not under warranty because they have not failed and gave me an estimate of a lot of money. So I figured I would ride it out because I have tolorated it for a couple of months and just put injector cleaner in it. Well I put about 500 miles on it and now it smoke alot worse, but know it has a blue-ish tint to it.

So I thought maybe turbo problem (truck has 127k on it) no oil in discharge from turbo so figured I would check oil to see how much it has used and it is about an inch higher on dipstick, so I drained out about 2 quarts of oil (did not smell like deisel in fuel). Called dealer up and he said that having this much extra oil in motor wouldn't cause a problem.

So my question is do I need injectors or will the smoke go away with injector cleaner (I used Lucas). I am getting a bad vibe from the dealer, I just don't feel comfortable with them on this issue.

The truck runs perfect and has no issues operation wise it runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:02 AM

First off go find a different dealer with a duramax tech that is good. You can try chevy or gmc dealers and even the odd hummer dealer. If you use the diesel kleen or power kleen, I forget which is which, use the 2x recipe for adding it to the fuel. If your oil is overfilled by that much, with that many miles you are probably burning oil. Does it get better after it warms up? (Less white smoke). When your injectors start really going your oil pressure will drop and the oil level will increase. Does it smoke at idle? If so, injectors need to be checked right away. The flow rates are only one part of the diagnosis, if they are all balanced I have a hard time believing that all 8 are equally dirty and flowing the same.

Whatever they tell you overfilling the oil is bad, it even says so on the fill tube cap! Too much lube on the top of the motor ends up getting sucked into the chamber, creating white smoke (and can gum up valves, injectors etc.). You also might wanna try running a tank of B20 through it, the bio seems to clean stuff out pretty well. Keep an extra fuel filter handy if you do.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here can point you in the direction of a tech that knows his stuff. What mods, if any, have been done to the drivetrain?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am from Newark Delaware, the truck is completly stock except for larger tires, slightly larger. The dealer says they overfilled the oil and there is no leaking problem with injectors. I will try the bio-diesel fuel and see what happens the dealer told me overfilling will have no impact on motor and that he has seen motors completly full of diesel and no problems from that. My opinion is I have had nothing but fuel related problems with the truck and if this is a known problem with these motors gm should take care of them, unless there was something I could have done to prevent this from happening. I don't want anything for free and will replace the injectors out of pocket but don't want to spend the money if it is going to continue to smoke after I replace them.

The dealer said there is a problem with 4 of the injectors.

Really being a small business owner I would like to support a small shop locally if possible but if there are no small shops that work on these trucks, I will do the job myself, I am pretty hands on and have put heads, cams, intakes, injectors, gears,etc... in my mustang installing them looks like it may be a project but, is it really a difficult job. And by saying that I do not want to discredit the skill associated with this work, I just don't want to pay a dealer to do it if I can do it.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Garage
I would take it to a different dealer, it sounds like this should be covered under the 7yr, 200K mile injector warranty.

-Wayne
2007 Chevy LBZ 6.6L Classic

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode