4.5L Duramax - Page 5 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 66 replies and been viewed 12818 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle5
Not to be the negative guy in the bunch. I love diesels and everything about them. But don't you think a gas engine is more practical for a 1/2 ton. I mean with diesel prices 40 cents higher than gas and gas engines in 1/2 ton pickups getting 17 to 18 mpg nowdays. You can't really pull loads with 1/2 tons. You don't have to sit and let the gas warm up for 20 minutes either. I'm just throwing this out there to get some opinions and maybe even change my point of view.

Drop 8,000 pounds worth of toy hauler on the bumper of any half ton, and then you will know why diesels are so much better in a 1/2 ton if you tow.......I am also sure that a diesel in a 1/2 ton will be somewhere in the mid 20's mpg range too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 PM

First off why would i want a halfton to pull 8000 pounds on the bumper???

I mean thats hard on transmissions,rear ends, and suspension parts.

Again im not here to start arguements

04 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box ZF6 Manual.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 PM

:shrug: You have a point
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 PM

that's why i think the new Tundra is stupid, they're advertising a half-ton as expensive as 3/4 tons with less capabilities than said 3/4 ton, and they're doing it against 1/2 tons to make them look special
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle5
First off why would i want a halfton to pull 8000 pounds on the bumper???

I mean thats hard on transmissions,rear ends, and suspension parts.

Again im not here to start arguements
Your points are all good ones.

I think part of the reason for the emergence of the 1/2 ton diesel is aimed at the guy who just wants a macho diesel truck that is the same physical size as a 3/4-1 ton, but really has no need to tow a big trailer of carry heavy weight.

More image than need, if you know what I mean.

The fact that they're capable of 50% better fuel mileage than a gas counterpart is where the reast of the reason for a 1/2 ton diesel is aimed at.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 PM

It might also take the place of the guy who owns a diesel because he has to run thousands of miles in a month and needs the durability of the diesel engine without the suspension and frame
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncummins
It might also take the place of the guy who owns a diesel because he has to run thousands of miles in a month and needs the durability of the diesel engine without the suspension and frame
Maybe, but then that particular guy is more of a candidate for a hybrid or a small diesel car if he MUST have a diesel.

Why run a empty diesel full size truck of any kind if the duty of the vehicle is simply commuting thousands of miles a month? :shrug:
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 AM

well, yeah, but those guys don't always run empty, I know in my truck I can haul almost a ton and still have some play in my suspension, so it could be feasible for someone to haul or tow light loads that don't warrant an HD but still want the power and reliability of a diesel
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncummins
that's why i think the new Tundra is stupid, they're advertising a half-ton as expensive as 3/4 tons with less capabilities than said 3/4 ton, and they're doing it against 1/2 tons to make them look special

great post:Thumbup: I really hope these half-ton diesels work out because when i get enough money i would love to have one! just like me and duke have been saying before i think the main selling point of these things will be plenty of power with fuel economy. Besides possibly price being a factor why wouldn't someone who has a 5.3 v8 half-ton want to upgrade to 4.5 diesel that is not only going to pull there load alot better but get better fuel economy doing so.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 PM

i think the 1/2 ton diesels are going to be a god send for small service type businesses. my dad does property maintenance and i used to work for a buddy that builds custom cabinets. both of them need a pick-up for the bed as well as towing light loads. i know when i built cabinets we would tow a full kitchen cabinet set on a small flatbed with the companies '01 1/2 ton dodge 4x4 all the time and it would cut the fuel mileage in half. do the math it adds up. there wasn't a need for a 3/4 or 1 ton because the loads were small. put that load behind a 1/2 ton diesel and it would be a much better tow, better fuel milage, plus more engine longevity. i imagine it would even be easier on the engine/trans than a gasser due to the torque. now, that is a small load. as said before there WILL be those guys that think that it will pull anything like a 1 ton, but they are already out there doing the same with the ford and chevy 1500 hd gassers. overall i think they will be great for the right buyers.

on the suburban thing, there is a company in colorado that custom builds diesel burbs. i'll look for the link, i have it some place. i have read a little bit on them, but all i know is they cost an arm and a leg to get done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode