The Diesel Garage banner

how much boost can a 6.5 take

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  KET19 
#1 ·
i'm putting a 6.5 in a rat rod truck how much boost can they take bee a light truck never pull any thing

#2 ·
The maximum that I can find is 15 psi, but thats only for short bursts the average psi can be between 10-14.

#3 ·
Depends on what compression the engine is built with?

18:1 can take 20-25 psi with air charge cooling of some kind and performance tune.
21:1 (stock) is limited to 15 psi and that should also be combined with intercooler/water injection and performance ECM tune.

10-12 psi is max stock boost in most cases.

#6 ·
I don't like all the crap you have to use with the 4l80 that is why I went to a 700r4 I have a ecm out of the chevy pickup that I junk out

I took the motor out of a 1993 chevy with a 4l80e I have all the parts if one wants to run a 4l80e in one

I wanted mine simple to run that is why I went to a 700r4 instead of the 4l80e

it is going into a rat rod 1958 chevy pickup with two turbo on it one on each side never going to pull any thing it is flat around were I live never going to be pulled hard

#8 ·
After practically splitting a 6.5 in half running big boost on it i built a new one with the billit steel splayed main caps and line bored it. Cut the new pistons down to 16 to 1 and had calico do they're coating on the skirts. I used a massive oil cooler and my own deigned ata cooler. I would be sure to say that its duty cycle is near 100% as i can run it flat footed seemingly all day at 25lbs of boost
Thats with Kennedys biggest chip. With the pmd mounted on a big heat sync and the engine mounted fuel filter deleted in place of a under truck mounted Davco.
The air intake turned as to uncover the injection pump, all that just gets way to hot. A 150k later it still runs great but it has broke the inout shaft off of 2 4L80 transmissions. The 3rd one i am going to try a billit steel shaft and if that one breaks i am parking it for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.