95 fuel filter strange leaking - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mmbrich, this thread has received 26 replies and been viewed 1862 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

95 fuel filter strange leaking

Hello All,
I have been reading your forums for some time now and have gotten much useful information from them, thanks! There is however, one strange problem that I have had with this truck that I can't yet figure out.
After my first tank of B100 the FIP took a nap and had to be replaced. Since then, every couple thousand miles the gasket on my fuel filter seems to grow or something and it ends up popping out of it's seal and causing a fuel/air leak. At first I figured it was left over BD in the system that was causing the rubber seal to expand, but the fuel system has easily been flushed of all the BD by now. I haven't put any BD in the system since the first tank that caused the FIP to go and the gasket is still expanding every couple thousand miles.

Has anyone else ever had this odd problem? Even if not, any suggestions? Is it the fuel filters or is it maybe the housing?

Thanks again for the great forum!

Matt

1995 Z71 K1500 Stepside Box, Extended Cab 6.5 TD (i think it was a special order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

Check your filter housing for cracks, although not common, it has been known to happen on these trucks before. Bad castings and all. Also make sure that you have your filter seated properly and that you wet the seal with some old fuel before you install the new one. Wetting the seal gives is some moisture to seat, ensure it doesnt dry out, and that makes it easier to remove later.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

By the way, welcome to the site. Always glad to have another 6.5er.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:31 PM

IDK, just guessing here. Is it possible you have the wrong lift pump on it?
The correct lift pump for these is about $150.00, maybe the previous owner put on a hi pressure gas pump on it to save a buck?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

That is a good possibility, but a gasser pump is much more expensive than the 6.5 inline pump. And I dont think the nerdy Autozone parts zit kids could mess that up that bad. Or could they? I really dont know what to make of it.

Tony

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The IP is new. I didn't replace it, the new IP was a rebuilt unit ($700 or so I think). I had my regular shop replace it, and when it became painfully clear that they had no idea what they were doing, I took it to the dealership to get the pump timing set, etc. They finally got the pump timing right a few days ago and since the FF was causing an air leak the IP was throwing codes and the dealership thought it was still bad
I wondered if the timing issue that no one could figure out for 3 weeks was possibly causing the leaks (the timing was REALLY bad). I also wondered if a mis-matched pump could be causing too much of a pressure build-up as well.

Any way to check the pump to see if it's the right model?

Thanks for the info guys!

Matt
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Oh you said Lift Pump, I didn't read carefully enough.
You know I wondered the same thing. I hear the pump running for 10 seconds or so after I turn the truck off and I always wondered if it's building up unnecessary pressure and causing that seal to pop out.
Any way to check it?

Thanks again,

Matt
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

The lift pump still running after you shut off the truck is the OPS still sending a signal to the relay telling it to run. What HC is talking about is this. When someone was told their fuel pump was bad, they might have gone to somewhere like Autozone and bought a gasser fuel pump. Although, I wouldnt think it would function but who knows, maybe the General made it so?

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hmm, well I will keep an eye on it and see how long it takes to do it again. I just put a new FF in after the IP timing was finally set, so who knows, maybe it will stop now.

Matt
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

I am doing some research on this problem of yours, I will let you know what I find.

Tony

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode