Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The 80% solution
I ordered a B&M Governor recalibration kit from Summit. I was discouraged to find that it's heaviest weights were LIGHTER than the weights on my governor. However, it's springs (even the light ones) were tighter than the factory ones. I used the kit's two heaviest springs to re-calibrate the governor and took a test drive. This truck runs substantially better, and will even full throttle upshift from first gear without much hesitation. I emphasize the word much because just as the engine starts to wheeze, it hits second. the 2-3 WOT upshift still requires me to lift, but just barely. It also stays in TCC lockup much longer, doesn't downshift from overdrive as readily, and will go into TCC lockup and overdrive at 35 MPH. In addition, part throttle and light throttle driving is smoother and also quicker, because keeping the revs down really helps the engine pull. This is a substantial improvement. I wonder though, now that I have this problem 80% licked, if my fan isn't the other 20% of the problem. I have read that with the clutch fully locked up the fan I am using (the "super duty" cooling fan that uses the 6 bolt fan clutch) can suck up to 30 HP. The problem is, it seems to stay engaged all the time, even though it's a new clutch (I know about the problem with aftermarket HD clutches, but I didn't know that until I had already bought this one, so I decided to give it a go with the AutoZone clutch anyway, since I already had it). I am sure that with the conservative way I built this engine, the fan is putting allot of drag on the engine as the RPMs close in on the WOT shift point. If I'm only making 130 HP to begin with, then perhaps that is part of the problem? I think that at 58MPH and higher I am faintly detecting some fan roar, so that is probably going to negatively affect my fuel economy as well, so I guess the next step is to loose the AutoZone clutch and buy a GM or Kennedy clutch, or go to a lighter duty fan and clutch and supplement it with an auxiliary electric fan.
1993 Suburban 2wd 6.2L Diesel Conversion "Andromeda":
3.73:1 gears, THM 700-R4 transmission, and
J-code 6.2L diesel from a 1984 C2500 Suburban
1996 Ford F-150 4x4 300ci Inline 6 "The Argo"
327,000 miles and climbing
1992 Caprice Wagon 5.0L TBI "Enterprise-D"
Ah ha ha ha! I swear! Tractors is so dumb!
The Argo? That ridiculous pile of scrap metal!
Last edited by argo; 07-24-2010 at 04:06 AM.