TH-700-R4 T.V. Cable adjustment trouble - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by argo, this thread has received 0 replies and been viewed 2059 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Gran Turismologist

TH-700-R4 T.V. Cable adjustment trouble

I have noticed an interesting situation with my Suburban... the transmission "coasts" like it's in neutral when you lift off the throttle at highway speeds. I had read that this is a condition that exists when the TV cable is too loose. So I re-adjusted my cable in the usual way: pressed the button on the cable and snapped the throttle open, the cable snapped into position. I held the throttle wide open and checked the cable, and it was guitar string tight. So then I test drove it. It shifted fine, just like before. Shifts were right on time, firm but not too hard, and it felt good, until I lifted off the throttle and the transmission coasted like I was in neutral again; the engine returned to idle at 60 MPH. I manually re-adjusted the cable tighter one click at a time until it stopped. This took 4 clicks. Once I did that, the transmission stopped coasting when I lifted off the throttle, but the transmission was holding the gears too long, the shifts were harsh, and you can't so much as breathe on the throttle pedal and it drops out of overdrive. Also, If I floor the throttle, the cable snaps back to it's "properly" adjusted position, and then the "neutral" coast at highway speeds returns. The transmission will re-engage with slight throttle pressure. What can be causing this?

1993 Suburban 2wd 6.2L Diesel Conversion "Andromeda":
3.73:1 gears, THM 700-R4 transmission, and
J-code 6.2L diesel from a 1984 C2500 Suburban
1996 Ford F-150 4x4 300ci Inline 6 "The Argo"
327,000 miles and climbing
1992 Caprice Wagon 5.0L TBI "Enterprise-D"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater View Post
Ah ha ha ha! I swear! Tractors is so dumb!
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nazca View Post
The Argo? That ridiculous pile of scrap metal!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode