Our new to us Hummer W/Duramax,Alison Trans. troubles,HELP - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DZLROKET, this thread has received 31 replies and been viewed 4706 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Our new to us Hummer W/Duramax,Alison Trans. troubles,HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only owned it for three weeks. Just had Predator motorsports (who did the conversion) completely go through the whole vechical, and change all fluids etc. When I drove it home I noticed that the transmission temp.s were running much higher than "normal" About 240-250 deg. When I told the owner of predator about it he said that was pretty much normal. then today while driving 70 on flat terrain. I got the "Hot transmission" message and the temps were close to 300Deg. I stopped and I had trans mission fluid dripping from the front end of the trans. pan. I checked the level while in park at idle and it was like five inches above the hatched area marked hot. We made it home by driving 55 and it stayed hot but not over 240 at that speed...... next day I let it warm up to normal temps and checked trans fluid level and it's two inches above ful hot hatch marks. Temp. stayed @ 160 untill I climbed some hills then got up to 225. Have I damaged it by driving 250 miles while over full? Why is it leaking? is it coming out the vents

Last edited by DZLROKET; 01-02-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM

my opinion too much oil might make it a little warmer, i would think a mechanical problem creating heat.

08 dodge 3500 dually, quad cab, inferno red,6.7, 4x4, 6sp auto, rhino lined bed, b&w gooseneck turnover ball,full length fiberglass running boards (color matching),reese hitch.

MEMBER THE DUALLY CLUB #75

MEMBER THE AMERICAN CLUB #41

10,055,000.00 points approximately
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefarmer2 View Post
my opinion too much oil might make it a little warmer, i would think a mechanical problem creating heat.
Well it got VERY warm, like 290. A mechanical problem like sliping? cause there was an Edge box on it an the prev. owner might have hot rodded it on a high power setting?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLROKET View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only owned it for three weeks. Just had Predator motorsports (who did the conversion) completely go through the whole vechical, and change all fluids etc. When I drove it home I noticed that the transmission temp.s were running much higher than "normal" About 240-250 deg. When I told the owner of predator about it he said that was pretty much normal. then today while driving 70 on flat terrain. I got the "Hot transmission" message and the temps were close to 300Deg. I stopped and I had trans mission fluid dripping from the front end of the trans. pan. I checked the level while in park at idle and it was like five inches above the hatched area marked hot. We made it home by driving 55 and it stayed hot but not over 240 at that speed...... next day I let it warm up to normal temps and checked trans fluid level and it's two inches above ful hot hatch marks. Temp. stayed @ 160 untill I climbed some hills then got up to 225. Have I damaged it by driving 250 miles while over full? Why is it leaking? is it coming out the vents
If it's only leaking out of the pan gasket you are alright (as far as leaks are concerned). If you know it's overfull like that and you don't have shop to work in. Take the filter off, dump out and put back on (repeat until you got the proper level). Overfilling a transmission will make it overheat.

I would get it serviced. Check it out. Make sure nothing is laying in the pan.

FYI, I don't know how easy those are to service. The Hummers I've been underneath have all had brush guards underneath it, might make it a pain in the butt to service. Something to check out.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post
If it's only leaking out of the pan gasket you are alright (as far as leaks are concerned). If you know it's overfull like that and you don't have shop to work in. Take the filter off, dump out and put back on (repeat until you got the proper level). Overfilling a transmission will make it overheat.

I would get it serviced. Check it out. Make sure nothing is laying in the pan.

FYI, I don't know how easy those are to service. The Hummers I've been underneath have all had brush guards underneath it, might make it a pain in the butt to service. Something to check out.
I can get to a drain bolt in the trasns. pan. What would be laying in the pan?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
Quote:
Well it got VERY warm, like 290. A mechanical problem like sliping? cause there was an Edge box on it an the prev. owner might have hot rodded it on a high power setting?
If the trany was sound before the Predator I would try Synthetics they are more heat tolerant. How many miles on it? You did not say what fluids you used I would use Amsoil of course.
Hummers are not cheep why not go for the best.

The Live Nation Motor Sports Grave Digger had the same issue hot trannys Amsoil solved there over heating totaly.
Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

Last edited by CrowsSynthetics; 01-03-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post
If the trany was sound before the Predator I would try Synthetics they are more heat tolerant. How many miles on it? You did not say what fluids you used I would use Amsoil of course.
Hummers are not cheep why not go for the best.

The Live Nation Motor Sports Grave Digger had the same issue hot trannys Amsoil solved there over heating totaly.
Bill
Trans. has 9k miles on it. yes it was sound. yes we went with all synthetics. I run Amsoil in my dodge.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Ghost

Quote:
I can get to a drain bolt in the trasns. pan. What would be laying in the pan?
Hopefully...nothing. But if you service it and find something laying in the bottom in the pan, (any transmission). If you find parts laying in the bottom of the pan it's good indicator something is seriously wrong and the transmission will need to come out. Allison's are tough as nails though, they can take tons of abuse.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
Quote:
Trans. has 9k miles on it. yes it was sound. yes we went with all synthetics. I run Amsoil in my dodge.
I do know The GD transmission fluid was boiling out of the tranny and input shaft was failing, Coan is the tranny builder and they strongly suggested Amsoil as a solution.
Good luck
Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post
I do know The GD transmission fluid was boiling out of the tranny and input shaft was failing, Coan is the tranny builder and they strongly suggested Amsoil as a solution.
Good luck
Bill
I've never heard of someone adding amsoil to fix trany problems. But starting off a new transmission with Amsoil works amazing.

Tags
amsoil, www.freeoilhelp.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode