how much can tranny hold - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by GM4ever, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1385 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
how much can tranny hold

i definatley want a LB7 but i dont want to get into a beefy tranny

i was thinking an intake, turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude....... will this adventually hurt the tranny or can it hold it

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 AM

well as unless you are building for pretty much all out racing an intake is pretty much a waste of money,for the gains you get. best H.P. gains for the money stick with an after market exhaust i have the stainless magnaflow from the down pipe back and i love it not to noisey running down the highway at 75-85 mph and just enough when you are on the throttle to let people know not to mess with ya. and get a decent programer from what i hear the edge is good i use the diadlo predator sport and its easy to use you can do quite a bit with it once you set it up the download times are super fast and it is one of the very few that put the advertised horse to the ground. the trans will handle most of the programers up to 85-90 addtional horse power but any more than that and you will need to up grade the trans.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
diesel idiot

If you live in a place where it heats up alot in the summer or pull a heavy trailer a good intake like an S&B or the kind Killer Bee makes will cool things down significantly when your truck is under load. But it offers virtually no gain on the horsepower side of things. As far as a tuner I agree with slam^50 that under a 100 horspower is alright without tranny upgrades. Good luck and have fun.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
TDG Junior Mafia #61

100 RWHP over stock is the max

2001 Chevy SB/CC Duramax LB7

Garrett GT4088R from PPE, PPE Duel fuelers, PPE Tuning, PPE stage 4 transmission w/suncoast 1056 converter, PPE Lift pump, Fabtech tie rods, Black Eagle alloys.
Engine is apart and in the garage
Goal is to have it done by the end of this summer.
TDG Mafia
The Diesel Garage

"Can you keep up??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4ever
i definatley want a LB7 but i dont want to get into a beefy tranny

i was thinking an intake, turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude....... will this adventually hurt the tranny or can it hold it

thanks guys
The edge juice with att. monitor is a good call for a stock tranny. It will defuel for a stock drivetrain, which always helps. Add about a 100 horsepower and will help with fuel economy if you can keep out of it.

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100 SRW 4WD
203* T-stat ELF7405 08 Diff Cover 6637

Sold: 2004.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4WD 48re
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 AM

100 horse is what I hear, but mainly monitor temps, and dont go out and do burn outs, etc. Taht kind of stuff is hard on stock components let alone when you modify. If you use the horoses sesibly, keep your load moving on a hill etc you shouldnt have aproblem if you go out and play you will pay.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
well that really helps guys
thank you very much

and what about Efi Live is that better than Edge w attitude??
and why
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM

well EFI is good but there is quite a learning curve and if you are not familar with how to program or very computer wise i would go with something like diablo preadtor, i am not all that familar with the Edge so i cant really give any sound advice on that subject,but as you have probably figured out everyone has their own preferences as far as programers and basicaly it comes down to you doin your own reserch and goin with the one you think will best serve your needs,diablo will pretty much give you the gains you are looking for and like i have said before its really easy to use and download times are super fast and you can do allsorts of stuff with it. read , trouble shoot and clear codes,moniter engine performance fuel psi injector info,mph,engine and tranny temps and so on its a pretty good all around programer for the money. and if you ever run in to trouble with something with it their customer service is top of the line. but thats just my opion and you will have to decide for you self what you want to get.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Efi live you make yoru own "tunes" ie program's everyhting is customizeable. YOu ahve to be somewheat savvy and willing ot play if you go w/efi live. Other programmers such as edge, etc have their own programs, you cant change or nothign, you just pick 1-6 (or wahtever) and they correspond to a power level, depending on what number you pick the program changes, timeing pulse etc. W/efi live you set your own timing and pulse width etc. If you really dont know bunches edge etc are bettter and safer. You can get tunes pre made for efi live. If you think your gonna learn a buch about tuning and duramaxes and you want something in the future customizeble. Get the efi live now, and start out with some tunes that somone else made and as you start learnign you can start making your own.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 AM

ppe xcellerator hot+2

ppe xcellerator hot+2 has that defueling system that when ever it shifts it defuels and keep the trans from sliping and is alot easier on it. could i stick with stock or do i still have to do work on the trany

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode