Manual automatic? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by firehillbilly, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 906 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
resident mason

Manual automatic?

Here's one for you computer guys. Is it possible and if it is how difficult would it be to reprogram the Ally 1000 to shift manually when in manual selection on the columb. As it is when you select a gear, i.e 4th all of the lower gears are available for the computer to choose from. If you could lockout every other gear except the one selected you could then lug the engine more and not be subjected to the engine braking that occurs at low speeds. I think the milage would improve also especially with a manual lockup / low stall speed on the torque conv.. The tourque conv. would still function as a slip device when rpm's are way low and when coming to a stop. You have the gauge to keep an eye on temps and make sure everything cool. Just wondering.

06 Sierra 2500 4wd lb. Predator, S&B, MBRP duals-no cat, Quadzilla gauges, Allison Jr., Riderite air bags, PPE Tie rod sleeves, egr plate / finger stick. 02 Chevy 3500 8.1L 4wd dump 9' Fisher mm2, sander. 03 Kubota L4630. 80'S or 90's Komatsu pc50. 89 d250 5.9 which may someday go into something.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
resident mason
Threadstarter

Question

:shrug: Nobody want's to take a crack at this one huh? Here's my thinking. An auto will always get worse mpg because of the slip in the t.c.. So if you lock the t.c. and use the torque of the engine to move you at slower speeds in a higher gear there is a milage increase. If you just want to hammer down it's in drive which is regularly programmed. This will shift way faster than you could ever with the tap shift. For low traction conditions you could start out in 2,3,or maybe even drive. A lot of older non electronic trannies have the valvebodies rebuilt to allow total manual shift. Even the tranny (I forget the #, 5r100?) in the 6.0 p-strokes will let you lock out gears up to 3rd. It would be the best of both worlds. Anybody got any take on this?

06 Sierra 2500 4wd lb. Predator, S&B, MBRP duals-no cat, Quadzilla gauges, Allison Jr., Riderite air bags, PPE Tie rod sleeves, egr plate / finger stick. 02 Chevy 3500 8.1L 4wd dump 9' Fisher mm2, sander. 03 Kubota L4630. 80'S or 90's Komatsu pc50. 89 d250 5.9 which may someday go into something.:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Garage
i hear ya i want a stick but GM's stick sucks (from what i read) i just think i would be uncomfortable to have your hand on the column all the time i want them to put it somewhere on the center console.... but it would be nice to lock up the converter to get better millage
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
resident mason
Threadstarter

Thanks for your responding. I don't even think you can get a stick for the GM diesel anymore. Only Ford and Dodge. The ATS Co-pilot is big bucks but maybe someday I'll get one.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode