tranny time - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jroderick, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1583 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Hillbilly Deluxe

tranny time

i know this is talked about alot but after still slipping still on the 65hp setting i think it may be time to cough up the dough for a tranny. its a LBZ 4x4 so who makes the best and how much are they? i live in the tulsa ok area and there are no big diesel dealers around. im on a bit of a budget seeing im getting married in october so let hear what ya think guys. not going to crazy with it i have a 120hp predator right now may go bigger after the trans not sure

06 LBZ CCSB, EFILive DSP5 tuned by IdahoRob, 68mm Fleece Cheetah Turbo,PPE stg 5 trans, Precision ML converter,PPE deep pan,PPE ported fuel rail,PPE fuel shim,tripple pillar w/ ultralite II's,6" cognito NTBD,Cognito UCA's,Cognito supports,ADP PCV Re-route,3'' MBRP downpipe,Billet resonator plug,MBRP stainless 5'' Straight Pipe, 6''MBRP black tip,Banks Tecnicooler,AEM Brute Force polished intake,EGR blocked, ReadyLift keys,PPE tie rod sleeves,AFE 3'' Intercooler tube,18x9 XD HOSS on 35'' toyo m/t,6000K HIDs,Kenwood touchscreen,Treo 600.1, 2-10" ID subs, 100 gal bed tank w/ transfer pump,superhoopII steps,Line X'd, Recon LED 3rd brake,smoked front corners, ranch hand bumpers front and rear,debadged,bushwackers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM

First turn your tuner off because once you start to check out prices on a rebuild you will need to save up some money. Make it last as long as possible. I've had good luck with suncoast transmissions in flordia. They helped me out with a custom torque converter for my 90 chevy that has a cummins diesel and a 4l80e trans. Its very important to get a good quality of torque converter when you decide to do the rebuild. Its hard to find a good allison trans shop. Most of the shops I've talked to around here have never had an allison apart and don't seem willing to do one. I do all my own work and checked on some prices for my 6 speed allison and decided to buy parts little at a time. I've done transmissions for some modified ford and dodge trucks and thought they were very resonable as far as the cost. Allison is a whole nother story. For most people the allison in a stock truck will last well over 200,000miles. I work on a few trucks that have 300,000miles on them with the original trans in them. They all pull large trailers all over the USA and still shift like new. Its a really good trans but everything has its limitations.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Hillbilly Deluxe
Threadstarter

i have the money i just dont wanna spend 8k on a trans, ATS seems to be the most affordable for 3100 and another grand for a suncoast. im doing a full trans. in my dodge i put all sorts of parts in and after it was all said and done i could have bought a full tranny and been stronger. the truck is an 06 with 173,000 so the stock tranny has seen plenty of loaded miles with a tune on it. its time is just numbered. anyone got any suggestions on other brands that compare in price?

06 LBZ CCSB, EFILive DSP5 tuned by IdahoRob, 68mm Fleece Cheetah Turbo,PPE stg 5 trans, Precision ML converter,PPE deep pan,PPE ported fuel rail,PPE fuel shim,tripple pillar w/ ultralite II's,6" cognito NTBD,Cognito UCA's,Cognito supports,ADP PCV Re-route,3'' MBRP downpipe,Billet resonator plug,MBRP stainless 5'' Straight Pipe, 6''MBRP black tip,Banks Tecnicooler,AEM Brute Force polished intake,EGR blocked, ReadyLift keys,PPE tie rod sleeves,AFE 3'' Intercooler tube,18x9 XD HOSS on 35'' toyo m/t,6000K HIDs,Kenwood touchscreen,Treo 600.1, 2-10" ID subs, 100 gal bed tank w/ transfer pump,superhoopII steps,Line X'd, Recon LED 3rd brake,smoked front corners, ranch hand bumpers front and rear,debadged,bushwackers
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM

i have a trans-go jr in the d-max is was around $3000 with a suncoast converter. love it
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Hillbilly Deluxe
Threadstarter

like i said before im not just stuffing parts in it ive done that before. and as you can read above for 3000 i can buy a full built tranny. a trans go Jr is like $75 and a suncoast tripple disc TC is $1495. dont know how you paid $3000 but i might say you got ripped. any one with more experience care to chime in?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM

Get ahold of MikeL of Inglewood transmissions. Heard nothing but great things about about him.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Im not sure what else my dad got done on it but thats all me told me. He keeps thangs from me. that why he thinks that he can try to beat me. but it dosent happen.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Built trans can be shipped to you buy PPE, Sun Coast, and ATS, if you are going to do the trans yourself get a Allison manual and read it thoroughly before doing the trans , then take your time and go slow checking everything multiple times. I the manual on pdf file if you want it I'll try to send it to you, if an email is provided. I am going with a sun coast as soon as I get the money.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 PM

The Suncoast 1057converter is not available anymore unless you want to built one from a new unit, around $2000.00. As for the Allison, the newer six speed with an aftermarket converter and a Transgo JR shift kit will handle around 500 hp.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM

Yea I have also herd that a new TC and valvebody will handle 500rwhp. I think I might go with that for now until I upgrade my engine internals.:evil:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode