Strange noise in Differential - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by norsk, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 922 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Strange noise in Differential

Hello

I would like some help diaognosing a strange noise I am hearing occasionally from I beleive the rear Diff.Of a 1991 Chev Suburban 2500 Diesel.

The noise sounds like a fast Sewing Machine,or like you are dragging a "ratchet strap",this is accompanied by on or two "thump's" (like the rear differential is locking) then its all back to normal.

I changed the rear diff fluid and filled it incorrectly with a normal 80 W90,I changed to 80W 90,half a gallon about, that was for limited slip diffs but the noise still occurs sporadically.Whilst this noise is happening I have shifted the transmission into neautral and the sound still occurs with the same pitch.

Recently I changed the wheel bearings,perhaps I upset the "Sipders" in the diff?I took the rear diff cover off and jacked up the Axels,ran the Truck with its wheels off the ground.As luck would have it ,the noise didn't happen for the experiment.

However with my foot I was able to slow one turning wheel,untill the diff would lock,however the wheel would spin free again.Ie the diff lock would disengage.

I have videoed the above and am waiting for it to upload.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Here is the video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode