Allison Functionality? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 2500HD03, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1313 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Allison Functionality?

Sorry guys this may be kind of a dumb question. I am new to the duramax, I just switched over i was always a 12-v cummins 5 speed guy. Anyway my question is; Last weekened I was pulling my horse trailer with a couple horses home and I had to go down a few big hill. Now my understanding and from what I have seen from work pickup (an 08 3500hd duramax with service bed) is that when you put it in tow haul it will downshift as you are trying to slow down. I have always known this that was why I really like the chevy automatic, but i was under the impression that when you turned tow haul off it would not longer downshift automatically? My 08 work truck as long as tow haul was off it would not downshift so i just left the button on at all times because other wise it was slow to stop because it was using all brake with a load. Trips the scales at about 16,000 empty with just my tools. So is the 5spd that is in my pickup suposed to downshift with tow haul off? My problem was i would want to just touch the brake every know and then and stay about 70 but every time i would touch the brake it would kick down and i would be at 3k rpm and at 60 miles an hour. It does downshift more agressively in tow mode.

03 2500HD CC, SB, 4X4
STOCK OTHER THAN A GUTTED MUFLER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD03 View Post
Sorry guys this may be kind of a dumb question. I am new to the duramax, I just switched over i was always a 12-v cummins 5 speed guy. Anyway my question is; Last weekened I was pulling my horse trailer with a couple horses home and I had to go down a few big hill. Now my understanding and from what I have seen from work pickup (an 08 3500hd duramax with service bed) is that when you put it in tow haul it will downshift as you are trying to slow down. I have always known this that was why I really like the chevy automatic, but i was under the impression that when you turned tow haul off it would not longer downshift automatically? My 08 work truck as long as tow haul was off it would not downshift so i just left the button on at all times because other wise it was slow to stop because it was using all brake with a load. Trips the scales at about 16,000 empty with just my tools. So is the 5spd that is in my pickup suposed to downshift with tow haul off? My problem was i would want to just touch the brake every know and then and stay about 70 but every time i would touch the brake it would kick down and i would be at 3k rpm and at 60 miles an hour. It does downshift more agressively in tow mode.
I'm not 100% sure of your question, but the allison is not supposed to downshift like it does in tow haul. Mine seems to even when it's off maybe just one/two gears.

One thing I do know about tow/haul is the owner's manual suggests turning it "off" while you are empty otherwise you'll has unsatisfactory downshifting.

In other words, if you run empty with tow/haul "on" it won't downshift the way it should.

I still use tow/haul, even when lightly loaded and it downshifts great.

Sounds like your's is dropping into 4th or maybe 3rd when you tap the brakes. That doesn't sound right.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DmaxJake
There was a change between the 5 and 6 speed trannies. The five speed would only downshift like you are talking about it tow/haul. The six speeds were set up down shift even when not in tow/haul if I'm not mistaken. I can tell the difference between My brothers 05 with a five speed and mine.

Duke if you still have your owners manual for your ally it explains the differences. I don't have access to mine at the moment to comfirm that exsactly, but I do know for sure that they changed something with the down shifting slash slowing down.

07 Classic Duramax LBZ
-EFI Live by [email protected],PPE fuel valve shim kit, Banks Gauges, Intercooler, Bully Dog Shift enhancer, Airaid Intake, Diamond Eye 5" straight pipe, [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]Snow Performance stage II

410hp/767Lb-ft @ fall brawl 2009
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Yes, my truck does have some limited downshifting with tow/haul "off", but it's maybe just 1 or 2 gears.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Mine was only downshifting one gear but i had tow/haul off. And every time i hit the brake it would downshift like they do when tow/haul is on.

03 2500HD CC, SB, 4X4
STOCK OTHER THAN A GUTTED MUFLER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode