99-02 Foglight upgrade - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 496 BB, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1261 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
496 Cubic Inches

99-02 Foglight upgrade

If your like me and have these model year of truck Im sure your hating your stupid fog lamps that are no brighter than your kids nightlight and leak a TON of moisture. Also if you install any kind of aftermarket bulb with higher wattage they charcoal the housings in as little as 2 months. I was on my 3rd set and same thing happened so I got sick of it and starting researching what sizes and how the lamps were made. I finally got around to ordering the Hella FF75 kit from summit racing ($125 shipped). Upon inspection I am pleased with the construction of the lamps themselves. Ive had a set on a '97 4Runner since it was new with only replacing a lens once so I know the quality is there.

The one thing I wanted was to install the new lamps on the OEM bracketry as I HATE seeing cars roll down the road with their foglights bouncing all over the place looking like they are flickering from not having a secure mounting spot. So here it was I did. It was all from what was included in the package from Hella and from the OEM stuff I took off.

Needed:

Grinder with metal cutoff wheel
Screwdrivers (both phillips and straight)
Sharpie
Pliers and crimpers
Knife (utility)
Hammer
3+ hours of your time (alot of test fitting involved if you are meticulous)

So first start off by removing the OEM foglights and unplug the proper connections. They are held on by (2) 10mm bolts up on the lower part of the bumper. Its easier to use the 1/4" drive as it fits better in there. Here it what you should have with one off and the new ones....

Now on the factory brackets remove the (2) trim screws that hold the actual lamp housing on to the bracket and unscrew the adjuster wing nut at the bottom....

Here it what you are left with....

Here is the Hella bracket that came with the lights...

This first light was the passenger side (for reference). I then cut the Hella bracket on the left side a little past the point where it comes across the top. After that I used a hammer to flatten it out so its pointing straight up....

At this point you should attach the Hella bracket to the lamp and install the OEM bracket in the truck for fitment. Once its bolted in take a sharpie and shim up your light to where its on center in the opening and where you want it left to right and mark on the straight cut bracket where it meets the OEM tab and hole. Take the bracket back out and drill a hole in the Hella bracket that matches with your mark. I used #8 screws and hardware for mock up but then switched out to 1/4" bolts with lock washers and teethed washers on the inside so it doesnt move.

For the other side I again bolted in the bracket but this time with the one side already attached to the OEM bracket and the other side attached with the remainder of the Hella bracket coming straight across. Once its in you can again shim up your light to your likings and mark where you want to make a 90* bend in the Hella bracket to meet up with the OEM bracket. After its marked take off the whole thing again and make the bend in the bracket you just marked.....

Again drill a hole in the Hella bracket to match up with the hole in the OEM bracket. Install your hardware and bolt it up on the truck again for fitment. I had to enlarge the mounting holes on top of the OEM bracket to get more adjustability out of the whole bracket.

Here is the final product....

After all is good from a fitment standpoint go ahead and wire up the lights inside the housings and adjust when its dusk outside. Make sure to tighten everything back down after adjusting. I havent got my HIDs for these yet as they are on order but thats easy to install. Its an H7 bulb.

Here they are before adjusting....

2001 HD 8.1L 4x4 Crew SB LT

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Garage
Those look really good bud good job it makes it worth all the work you had to do to get them right but i would say it was worth it

2012 2500 qqsb leveled with 35's 5% tint, soon to be deleted

06 5.9 quad cab short bed 4" of lift in the front 1.5 in the rear 37"s bfg mud terrains factory match gauges straight pipe built 48re, Smarty GONE

Tuned by
S.W.A.G
Scientific. Wild. A**. Guess.

Toys
08 yamaha yfz 450 bought stock with 15 hours on it added a jet kit not sure what else to get yet
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
496 Cubic Inches
Threadstarter

Thanks. Yea beer makes the time go by faster...lol.

2001 HD 8.1L 4x4 Crew SB LT

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM

Garage
haha sounds like a great project

2012 2500 qqsb leveled with 35's 5% tint, soon to be deleted

06 5.9 quad cab short bed 4" of lift in the front 1.5 in the rear 37"s bfg mud terrains factory match gauges straight pipe built 48re, Smarty GONE

Tuned by
S.W.A.G
Scientific. Wild. A**. Guess.

Toys
08 yamaha yfz 450 bought stock with 15 hours on it added a jet kit not sure what else to get yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode