air bag light on - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ezstriper, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 2499 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
air bag light on

my 08 needs a air bag module according to a GM tech who scanned it..says no communication ? anybody heard or had this ? any other choices other than the $400 one from GM ? tried two places that claim to repair them, but they cannot fix this..thanks Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
my 08 needs a air bag module according to a GM tech who scanned it..says no communication ? anybody heard or had this ? any other choices other than the $400 one from GM ? tried two places that claim to repair them, but they cannot fix this..thanks Rob
Nothing wrong with salvage air bags from wrecked vehicles. I've used many.

Before you replace it however, have another dealer check it as something doesn't sound right. Also, if the second place confirms the first's findings, remove the air bag module, and clockspring under the steering wheel and have that tested as they can be a source of interruption to the system. Are you certain the truck has not been wrecked and the original air bag deployed? You cannot just replace the bag itself without replacing the computer also which is a one shot deal.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I drove it for a year before the light start coming on intermitantly...then just stayed on, checked the fuse, he told me to remove it and ck for corrosion in the plug, did that, was clean...was also told that they were vin locked and you could not use a used one ? but I have no idea...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
I drove it for a year before the light start coming on intermitantly...then just stayed on, checked the fuse, he told me to remove it and ck for corrosion in the plug, did that, was clean...was also told that they were vin locked and you could not use a used one ? but I have no idea...
First I've heard of a VIN lock on airbag(s)? I'd be confident in stating I've purchased over 75 used ones and never ran across that before. The clockspring was a high failure item on GM pickups with tilt steering for a few years causing the lamp to illuminate. I've seen a few times where it was intermittent, but mostly once illuminated, it stayed on.

There will be one, or two deceleration sensor(s) under the hood, (usually on the core support) and a safe sensor behind the left kick panel. The one behind the panel can corrode but the problems I've seen are usually rodent related with that one. Don't rule out the brake lamp switch either as the connections run through that switch directly to the air bag computer also. Air bags cannot deploy until many parameters are satisfied and when that lamp is illuminated, the SRS system is disabled.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The air bag module connector was clean, I have only had the truck for a year, don't know any history, purchased from a deal that bought at a auction..so who knows...thanks for the help...I know the brakes lights do work, I have not looked any further as the GM tech I've known for close to 30 years(who scanned for me) just said showed no communication to module...so there could be a break in communication before it and show that ?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
The air bag module connector was clean, I have only had the truck for a year, don't know any history, purchased from a deal that bought at a auction..so who knows...thanks for the help...I know the brakes lights do work, I have not looked any further as the GM tech I've known for close to 30 years(who scanned for me) just said showed no communication to module...so there could be a break in communication before it and show that ?
Look at the clockspring very closely as they are a frail little contraption and bounce around internally as the vehicle is operated.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
any way to tell if it's bad ? will I see something broke ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
any way to tell if it's bad ? will I see something broke ?
No easily as they are four or five spaghetti wires moulded together and it winds and unwinds within a spool buried in the steering column. I'd get a used one from a salvage yard and "plug n chug" it in. If you unspool it during testing, you'll need to replace it anyways and this seems to always happen. They have to spool and unspool to allow the airbag to turn with the steering wheel and this is why they can fatique and fail.

Anytime you mess with airbag systems always have the battery disconnected and don't test with a powered test lamp!! Use only a high impedence multimeter, or oscilloscope to take any readings.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Pardue the Traveler

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to New 0mega
The Airbag control module under the passenger seat went in my truck 8 months after I picked it up, only place I know for something like that is Gm. it was like $700 to replace it.

Smoke!!! Smoke!!!! Are you Smoking yet?
2007.5 Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.6L Duramax Extended Cab Long Box Z71 Fass 150/95, Rare Parts G2 hd tie rods, EFi Live, DSP5 a tune from Duramaxtuner.com, MBRP 4" Downpipe back, Edge CTS Insight, Cognito Idler/Pitman Arm Braces, PPE Deep Transmission pan, deep pan filter, Transgo Jr kit
Canadian Club member #2 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...light=Canadian
Singles Club member #250
https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23125&dateline=124580  0528
For those whom are looking at a Duramax check this thread out.https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=92868
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 0mega View Post
The Airbag control module under the passenger seat went in my truck 8 months after I picked it up, only place I know for something like that is Gm. it was like $700 to replace it.
Airbag modules and component parts are a very large liability exposure for the manufacturers. This is why they are a single source procurement, i.e. dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode