Soon I will be retired and just maybe retarded - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by slipshod, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 983 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Soon I will be retired and just maybe retarded

At least my wife thinks so. I work for the great state of New York in the prison system and I have 73 days left until I retire. Over the years I have also ran my own business doing site prep work. I run a 6.5 97 GMC 10' dumper and equipment trailer on the back most of the time. The truck is worked hard and has held up reasonably well, but the time for a replacement is almost at hand.

Most of my business is residential and I need a dump that is low profile so it fits in the tight spots. I also will not buy anything that does not have 4 wheel drive as it saves me from tearing up lawns and such. My nitch includes tree work, stump grinding with a three point grinder mounter on a tractor loader, concrete prep including many, many tear outs, I load move and saw logs also so any truck I buy needs to be a bit beastly. I also do some farming, and have a thing for tractors, dozers, and timber framing. I run grades, do drive ways, utility buries, and what ever work I can make a buck or three at.

The truck I like is the GM 4500 in four wheel drive. My question is: Will the Duramax Allison combo be enough truck? The next step up the 5500 adds a whole new set of problems. A lot more money, DOT requirements, size, etc....

My plan includes keeping my 3500 and giving it a much needed go over. I will use it to haul the smaller loads and keep the miles off the new one when I can.

I have looked at other brands and it seems I have this mental block and keep buying GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Congrats on retiring! I think the 5500 with the Dmax and Allison will do fine for ya.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Congrats on retiring::Thumbup: but it dont sound like retiring sounds like your still gona be working pretty hard but doing somethig you injoy anyway best to you:Thumbup: :givemebeer
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipshod
At least my wife thinks so. I work for the great state of New York in the prison system and I have 73 days left until I retire. Over the years I have also ran my own business doing site prep work. I run a 6.5 97 GMC 10' dumper and equipment trailer on the back most of the time. The truck is worked hard and has held up reasonably well, but the time for a replacement is almost at hand.

Most of my business is residential and I need a dump that is low profile so it fits in the tight spots. I also will not buy anything that does not have 4 wheel drive as it saves me from tearing up lawns and such. My nitch includes tree work, stump grinding with a three point grinder mounter on a tractor loader, concrete prep including many, many tear outs, I load move and saw logs also so any truck I buy needs to be a bit beastly. I also do some farming, and have a thing for tractors, dozers, and timber framing. I run grades, do drive ways, utility buries, and what ever work I can make a buck or three at.

The truck I like is the GM 4500 in four wheel drive. My question is: Will the Duramax Allison combo be enough truck? The next step up the 5500 adds a whole new set of problems. A lot more money, DOT requirements, size, etc....

My plan includes keeping my 3500 and giving it a much needed go over. I will use it to haul the smaller loads and keep the miles off the new one when I can.

I have looked at other brands and it seems I have this mental block and keep buying GM.
The 5500 4x4 is the exact same size as the 4500 4x4. It shouldn't be too much more in cost (maybe a few grand) and shouldn't add any additional DOT requirements since in "standard form" it is still listed at 26,000 GCWR, which in most states can be driven with a standard driver's license (at least it is in my state).

If you do go with a 4500 4x4, I would say you're doing the right thing. These little trucks are super tough and the allison trans is the best thing out there. They have a heavy frame and bigger axles than the Ford or Dodge competition, too.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode