2.8 to a 4.3 1988 s10 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_redneckbuckeye, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 3059 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

2.8 to a 4.3 1988 s10

I have a 1988 4x4 s10 I have to pull the engine to do some engine work and was thinking of putting a 4.3 in it. It has the 700r4 Auto , will a 4.3 out of a truck the same year be a bolt the engine in change the ecm(simple swap) ? I have heard the 4.3 and 2.8 have different bell housing bolt pattern. I am looking to buy a donor vehicle if I do the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Different bellhousings. 2.8 = 60* engine, 4.3 = 90* Your best bet is to find both engine and trans and swap both. There are 4.3 motor mounts available.
Also, I read that you should find the 4.3 battery tray and the radiator/fanshroud, too....so your idea of finding a donor is a good one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Additionally, with a donor vehicle, you will have any wiring you need. Other than computer wiring, these kind of swaps are not too big a deal. The computer wiring will go from the ECM to the motor, and is largely self contained, so you undo the harness, leave it on the motor, then hook it back up when you get to the recipient vehicle.

The workhorse: 86 F250 6.9 4 speed 4wd 4.10 gears, electric fuel pump
The other workhorse: 92 F350 2wd crew cab, 92 6BT Cummins, NV4500 and GV overdrive unit, 4.10 rear axle
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 AM

I did the same engine swap,1988 s10 blazer 2.8 with a 5 speed manual to a 1993 4.3 230 hp with a 700r not a easy task! a donor vehicle is the only way to go. if you use a motor with a carb it is much easier to do. if you go with a FI motor you will need to change the whole wire harness under the hood and if you go with a newer model I think 90 and newer you will also have to change the wire harness under the dash along with the dash panel due to electronic speed control or buy and adapter that goes between the speed cable and trans jegs sells them. otherwise you could figure out what wire goes to what cut and splice. a Quick list - motor with pulleys, fan, oil remote or cooler, motor mounts, cross over, wire harness, battery tray, radiator, fan shroud, transmission, transmission lines, fuel lines from front frame, fuel filter put one by gas tank on frame, ecm, I recommend changing transfercase too. and turn torsion bars about 1 1/2 turns each to level out the truck. a 4.3 is heavier and will lower front end. If I had to do it all over again I would drop a 5.7 vortec in it
good luck if you need to know anything else please e-mail me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode