cranking torsion bars - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cajuncummins, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1069 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

cranking torsion bars

not real deep, just need a step by step run through of cranking them because for my b-day my dad sent it to get a leveling kit, but now a few days later, apparently they installed *nothing* and just cranked the bars, and now the drivers side is officially lower than the passenger side, so I figure I need step by step beings that it *CAN* be f-ed up, thanks guys:thanks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 AM

Go and check out cognitomotorsports.com and read up on their leveling kit. If you have the factory upper a-arms there could be clearance issues. Also if you have the factory-length shocks you might need to either relocate the lower bracket or get longer shocks. I like their kit b/c the ball joints are removable from the upper a-arms.

As far as having your truck level you adjust the torsion key adjustment bolts until each side is at the required height. When you do this take the weight off of the front suspension, then lower it to check height. If both adjustment bolts are maxed out it's prolly not going to be level, I've done that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 AM

Measure distance between wheel well and top of tire on each side, raise truck by the frame,not susp., adjust the t-bars, take it for a spin to settle things out, and remeasure, readjust as needed.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Make sure you lube the threads on the torsion bar bolts first. They tend to be rusty & can bind-up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73
If both adjustment bolts are maxed out it's prolly not going to be level, I've done that.
It's my understanding you should not max them out. Am I wrong about that?

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I know it puts too much stress if they're totally maxed out, I just adjusted them until it was level, and I had to lube them, it was too much of a PITA to do it without
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 AM

Passenger side bolt will always be adjusted slightly less than the drivers side, because of the weight of the fuel tank and driver requiring more adjustment on the drivers side.

You can max out the t-bars, just watch the CV angles. I highly recommend you get tie rod sleeves, and maybe look into the Cognito upper A-arms.

I also HIGHLY recommend that if you crank the bars up that high that you space the the shock down 3/4" to keep it in its operating range. This is accomplished by using washers or a piece of thick pipe between the upper shock mount and the shock, or the shock and the upper frame.
You can also use 2" longer shocks. Bilstein sells these shocks through Merchant or KennedyDiesel.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I already got longer shocks when I looked into levelling it, though thanks anyways
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Totally maxing out the torsion keys will have no adverse effects unless your upper a-arms have clearance issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode