2500 Dmax or 2500 gas silverado? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cetnor851, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 2370 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Points: 817
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2500 Dmax or 2500 gas silverado?

Whats goin on guys? Im in the process of looking for a truck but I cannot make up my mind between diesel or gas. Diesel right now is 3.49-3.59 a gal in my area but also have a Mobile down the rd that sells bio for 3.49. My main concern is it worth it to spend the cost of a gal for diesel or save a few and go with gas. From what Ive read and talked to people about is that diesel gets better gas mileage. so int he long run does it cost about the same as gas? from saving from the xtra gas mileage? A couple of my buddys own a 03 dmax and the other a 97 cummins and they lovem. If ya guys could help me out on makin my decison a lil easier.
cetnor851 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 PM
is here and there.
 
Rcannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,573
Points: 75,368
Thanks: 691
Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Images: 11
You are going to get a very biased opinion here. 98%+ will tell you to get the diesel.
That said, what are your needs? Do you tow a lot? Is this going to be a commuter vehicle? A toy? Do you have the extra money for when the mod bug strikes?
If you are really really concerned about mileage, a truck in general is probably not the best vehicle. Depending on the truck and motor you get will greatly affect the mileage you get.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
Rcannon is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 124,641
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetnor851
Whats goin on guys? Im in the process of looking for a truck but I cannot make up my mind between diesel or gas. Diesel right now is 3.49-3.59 a gal in my area but also have a Mobile down the rd that sells bio for 3.49. My main concern is it worth it to spend the cost of a gal for diesel or save a few and go with gas. From what Ive read and talked to people about is that diesel gets better gas mileage. so int he long run does it cost about the same as gas? from saving from the xtra gas mileage? A couple of my buddys own a 03 dmax and the other a 97 cummins and they lovem. If ya guys could help me out on makin my decison a lil easier.
Get the gas if: You don't tow much or put less than 15-20K on the odometer per year. The gas engine won't get the same MPG's, but the fuel costs less and the up front cost is $6,000 less. That's a considerable amount.

Get the diesel: If you tow heavy or if you drive at least 15-20K per year. The more you drive and the more you tow, the more advantageous a diesel gets. Gas truck engine fuel economy drops more drastically when used to pull a trailer than a comparable diesel truck. Remember, the big reward comes at the end: Wards Aotomotive aalready has shown that once you break 100,000 miles, a diesel averages $5,000 more in trade-in value, so you'll get a lot back at the end. A gas engine is perceived as being "shot" after 100k, while a diesel still has another 100K to go.
Duke is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,409
Points: 5,125
Thanks: 34
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
If ya need the big truck diesel makes more sense. If you only need a 1/2 ton, wait a year or two and get a diesel.
mckey73 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Points: 817
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its goin to be more of an everyday vehicle to and from work, haulin here and there, and I do drive at or more than 20k miles a yr. The mpg isnt a huge decidein factor just want somethin reasonable. and the mod bug has already hit me and I havent even bought a truck yet haha.
cetnor851 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 124,641
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetnor851
Its goin to be more of an everyday vehicle to and from work, haulin here and there, and I do drive at or more than 20k miles a yr. The mpg isnt a huge decidein factor just want somethin reasonable. and the mod bug has already hit me and I havent even bought a truck yet haha.
Let's say you drive mostly highway & unloaded. Diesel gets 17MPG and gas gets 14MPG. That's a 3MPG advantage.

20,000/17 = 1177 gal fuel x $3.50 = $4,118/yr on fuel

20,000/14 = 1429 gal gas x $3.00 = $4,287/yr on gas

Even with greater fuel economy, the one time advantage of diesel fuel being cheaper or equal to gas is now gone and so is virtually all the advantage.
Duke is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Points: 817
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nicely put, that is a still a very good savings. Well you seem well knowlegable, as far as the duramax are you happy with it? I'm a chevy guy all the way hah but I can set what my heart wants aside for a better truck. From what I'm told cummins is right up there but nnot as much potential as the dmax. I'm from Michigan and in the winter its gets somewhat cold. we have or cold cold days very rarly but any problems in the winter with starting or gelling? I appreate this very much man.
cetnor851 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
is here and there.
 
Rcannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,573
Points: 75,368
Thanks: 691
Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Images: 11
Michigan (thumb region) member here and I have no issues with starting or gelling in my truck.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
Rcannon is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 124,641
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetnor851
nicely put, that is a still a very good savings. Well you seem well knowlegable, as far as the duramax are you happy with it? I'm a chevy guy all the way hah but I can set what my heart wants aside for a better truck. From what I'm told cummins is right up there but nnot as much potential as the dmax. I'm from Michigan and in the winter its gets somewhat cold. we have or cold cold days very rarly but any problems in the winter with starting or gelling? I appreate this very much man.
Try to not think of a truck as a "DMAX" or the other as a "Cummins". Instead, look at them as a bundle of equipment. When you buy a house, do you buy solely because of the kitchen? Or do you buy a kitchen, LR, DR, FR, garage, yard, etc.?

It has been down to 15-20* here. I've owned my truck for a year, 16,000 miles and I haven't even dug out the block heater cord yet. Starts like a champ. Fuel gelling is caused by not having winterized blend fuel in your tank. Where you live in that kind of cold, I guess there's a chance, and in that case the brand of truck doesn't matter. You would need some additives, like Howe's.

When I look, ask and read about the '08's, GM consistently seems to have the fewest problems. They are also backed by a tremendous warranty. They have a tranny made by the same company that builds the Abrams tank transmission. They have a very proven, reliable diesel that makes peak torque at lower RPM, they have a big 11.5" locking rear, they have more real truck proportional gauges hooked up to sending units, not idiot light gauges, excellent seats and they handle very predictably.

So far, I like mine, I hope it lives up to the way I feel about it now. My only disadvantage is I can't speak from like 5 years of ownership.
Duke is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Points: 817
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah your right Ive never really thought about it that way. I guess I will need to do alittle more research on either truck, but I liek what you have to say about yours. I was also thinkin of throwin some stacks on it, Any downfalls to stacks or should I stick to a regular performance exhaust?
cetnor851 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome