Front suspension and brakes on HD pickups - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by FireHunter, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 863 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Front suspension and brakes on HD pickups

Hello GM forum, Ford owner here...

Some years back the wife drove a '99 Suburban 3/4ton with the 454 in it. Nice rig but it had the heavy duty independent front suspension and needed brake pads replaced and rotors turned. According to the manual and the mechanic the front suspension required pullers for the rotors and, in general, was more complicated than I wanted to dive into at the time. $500 later she had new brakes on the front of her suburban.

I can replace the brakes, including turning the rotors, on my current pickups for less than $100 per axle and in less than an hour.

Are the current independent front suspensions any better for ease of maintenance? I am talking about 3500HD/D-max pickups. I know you guys have heard this before but if the GM's had a solid front axle I would ditch the fords for the GM's in a heartbeat. I know the current suspension can easily handle the weight but I like to be able to perform my own maintenance and modifications.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode