1982 chevy silverado 6.2 electric problems??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by vr6vince, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2800 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

1982 chevy silverado 6.2 electric problems???

could sumone please help me?
i hav a 1982 chevy silveerado with a 6.2 in it and i cant get it to turn over.
whenever i turn the ignition to start it it just goes dead,but the glow plugs and clock work and thats about the olny thing that work....the horn,headlights not evan the fourway flashers dont evan work???? I thought it was the batteries or the battery cables but i charged,tested the batteries and cleaned the cables and still the same problem.
can somebody please help me????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM

if you are + the batteries are fine, then try replaceing the cabels themselves. i met a fellow a year ago who had the same issue. like to drove him crazy. he finally found the problem to be the cabels themselves. this particular truck spent sometime near the coast, and the salt air over time had corroded the insides of the cables[ last few inches on the ends]. he said they were all blackish on the inside, after he stripped them back a ways. i have a few of the early models gm 6.2's, and have noticed two of the trucks have done the same thing. only mine are not bad enough to cause a starting problem as yet. also chk your starter connections as well. possible , but not likely you have a starter issue as well. chk all connections first. also be certain that you do indeed have TWO good batteries. i have seen batteries casue all kinds of goofy quirks with these trucks!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thankyou for ur help....
ill look into it rite now
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 AM

Down nest to the starter are 2 wires that power the truck and charge the batteries, they have fusible links on them.

You can test to see if that is the problem by putting a jumper wire from the positive battery to the junction stud at the middle of the firewall that feeds the A/C. If that lights up the truck, fix the wire. The battery cable is often bad at the bottom end, if it has broken insulation at the starter take it off to inspect. A battery shop can replace the end terminal if you don't solder, or you can buy a new one. Don't cheap out on the battery cable get the right gage wire for diesel.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i just tried that and i got no where,the starter finally made sum noise but dident spin over,sounded lik it was about to but it dident want to...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Then it is time to get the volt meter out and start with any non working circuit and trace to the gap on the circuit.

The fusible links at the starter are common, burned connectors at the fuse block are fairly far down the list. Failed ign electrical switch is common with increased loads for misc stuff. The ign sw is on top of the steering column about 6 in under the dash - it is held on with 2 8mm head screws on the left side of the column. The BAT2 terminal is often burned out of the connector and the switch.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode