82 6.2 diesel suspension lift questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by runonh2o, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 1079 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

82 6.2 diesel suspension lift questions

I have an 82 6.2 diesel GMC Suburban. In the last 25k miles it has had the engine, transmission and fuel system redone. It has new brakes front and rear and new paint. I have had it 5 years and only put 15k miles on it since I've owned it. I seldom drive it. Usually just to pull a pop up now and then. Ive recently upgraded to a 30ft travel trailer which it actually pulls fairly easily, my only concern is the hitch height. Even with the air shocks aired up (and the trailer not hooked up) the bottom of the receiver(where the hitch slides in) is only about 6in off the ground(newer trucks are 16 in). This required me to unscrew the trailer jack when I purchased the trailer to get it home. I remember seeing in some 4wd mags at work vendors for body and suspension lifts but they all said that the kits were not designed for diesels.(?) Why? What is it about a diesel that you cant lift it up? I was at a junk yard earlier today and they had a 3500 series dually that sat higher and the stance just looked better(it didn't look like a low rider) Would it be possible to take the rear springs and front coils off another gm truck (close in year) to put on my 6.2 and try to raise it up enough to tow the trailer conveniently. Or would it be smarter to sell the 6.2 and get a newer truck whose hitch is actually 16 inches of the ground. I rarely drive the truck and really don't want to buy a new one just to pull the trailer unless I have to. That would require me selling my other toy, a 2000 Mazda Miata. It gets better gas mileage is just a better day to day vehicle. This is all new to me so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Pardue the Traveler

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to New 0mega
You should be able to put a lift kit on you 'burb' if that's what your looking for. A good 4" kit should get you close to where you want to be, and add helper springs to the back to make sure that the trailer stays level. If your happy how the burb pulls the trailer then there should be no need for a different truck.

Smoke!!! Smoke!!!! Are you Smoking yet?
2007.5 Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.6L Duramax Extended Cab Long Box Z71 Fass 150/95, Rare Parts G2 hd tie rods, EFi Live, DSP5 a tune from Duramaxtuner.com, MBRP 4" Downpipe back, Edge CTS Insight, Cognito Idler/Pitman Arm Braces, PPE Deep Transmission pan, deep pan filter, Transgo Jr kit
Canadian Club member #2 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...light=Canadian
Singles Club member #250
https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23125&dateline=124580  0528
For those whom are looking at a Duramax check this thread out.https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=92868

Last edited by New 0mega; 02-05-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode