The Diesel Garage banner

whats the best model to build on a budget

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  sstockton 
#1 ·
Which 5.9L is the best to build, which engine can i expect to get the torque and power out of. And still not break the bank

#3 ·
There are really alot of choices when it comes to the 5.9 engines. If your talking striclty 24v engines then it narrows it down alot.

I would suggest a later model in the second gens. You avoid the 53 blocks and they put out a little more power. Also its easier to find them with lower miles as they get newer. In the 2001-2002 models you have two different turbos. The hy35 for the automatics and the hx35 for the standards. also there were standard output and high output engines. The automatics and 5 speeds were considered standard output (235) and the 6speed was a high output (245) engine.

If i could of picked my truck's options it would be something like a 2001-2002 5-speed short wheel base quad cab. Then you can throw in a set of injectors, a programmer, a clutch, and a turbo and have a great running truck that still gets decent mileage.

just a thought...

#4 ·
If i could of picked my truck's options it would be something like a 2001-2002 5-speed short wheel base quad cab. Then you can throw in a set of injectors, a programmer, a clutch, and a turbo and have a great running truck that still gets decent mileage.
I'm just about there...

I've got a 2002 Dodge LWB 5 Speed... (Signature for rest of BOMBs)

Bascially there is two type of really good trucks... 12V (P-pumped) and 24 Valve (VP44 Pump).

P-pump doesnt require a lot of money to go fast most power MODs can be done with a box of tools. But adjustablity on the fly doesn't happen. (Slide governor, starwheel adjustment) Timing is fairly fixed...

But a 24V VP44 pump everything is plug N' Play. The toys are more expensive but you can adjust power on the fly. (Edge comp, Quadzilla, etc) Timing is programable and very dynamic!

Myself I love the 24V VP44 for the adjustable power, dynamic timing, plug N' Play ease of enhancements. :Thumbup:

You might want to look at my BOMB page...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/BOMBS/bomb's.htm

#7 ·
Then you don't even want a 24 Valve really because of the electronics. You are better off going with a 12 valve or a 24valve with a P7100 pump (12 valve pump).
Still the easiest thing to do will be to get a 12valve. With some light mods. Like injectors, twin intake, 3 piece exhaust manifold, advanced timing, maybe turbo, and everything to make the air move on both sides of the turbo.

#8 ·
Yeah, if you're doing a conversion, don't deal with all the wiring and electronics, it just gets more and more expensive. If you do decide you really want to go with an electronically controlled engine, then buy a complete truck and rob the engine and trans as a unit, that way you get an ECM and PCM that you know already like to talk to each other.

with the 12v there will be far fewer headaches and you are capable of producing quite a bit more power.
Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.