The Diesel Garage banner

looking at a truck

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GOAT 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The H.O. isn't as good for modding as the S.O. As far as stock trucks go, there is only a 10hp difference, but in my experience the H.O. gets better fuel economy. Technical differences have to do with fuel flow, compression etc...
The H.O. only came in front of a 6spd manual, and in 01-02 the 6spd only came behind the H.O. If you are just looking for a good solid truck the H.O. is awesome. If you want to mod. it and get up near the 550+ hp mark you will want an S.O.. For most people an H.O. isn't a bad option.
Sean

#3 ·
ok so the this truck says it is an HO but it has a 5 speed. Why is this? And would a HO be ok with a set of injectors and a drag comp?

#4 ·
GOAT said:
ok so the this truck says it is an HO but it has a 5 speed. Why is this? And would a HO be ok with a set of injectors and a drag comp?
Perhaps its a typo? Because under Vehicle Equipment it reads 6 speed, then Description it reads 5 speed.

However this pic makes it misleading that it is an HO:

I'd say its SO unless someone switched out the shift knob and confused the dealer and everyone else :popcorn:

#6 ·
sstockton said:
The H.O. isn't as good for modding as the S.O. As far as stock trucks go, there is only a 10hp difference, but in my experience the H.O. gets better fuel economy. Technical differences have to do with fuel flow, compression etc...
The H.O. only came in front of a 6spd manual, and in 01-02 the 6spd only came behind the H.O. If you are just looking for a good solid truck the H.O. is awesome. If you want to mod. it and get up near the 550+ hp mark you will want an S.O.. For most people an H.O. isn't a bad option.
Sean

:iagree

Amazing how many people think the HO/ETH is going to be a better truck to mod than a SO/ETC. And it's amazing how many people think their SO/ETC is a HO/ETH.

My ETC will smoke my ETH any day of the week, granted they are different trucks. But my ETH will never touch my ETC engine. Putting a Comp box on someone elses ETH, then turning around and doing it to my own ETC.....2 totally different animals.

My ETH truck is my 4x4, nice truck, great daily driver.
My ETC truck is my 4x2, ugly truck, fast truck, bad daily driver do to the VP44 I'll probably never fix.

Modding the ETC engine will get my moneys worth compared to my ETH.

#7 ·
Typically... All auto and 5 speed trucks where SO engines and all 6 speeds where HO engines...

Got to admit that that truck like like my twin just about... Now it need toyz! :popcorn:

#8 ·
Yall think it is a good deal or should i wait for another, assuming that it is clean and has no hickups. I do mostly daily driving but do haul some(hay(18round bales),tracktors(JD4440), horse trailer). What injectors should I get and what chip/programer. Not looking to get major power but just want it to have some balls.

#9 ·
If its a clean truck, which it looks like, and the price is right, go for it.

As for injectors/chip. For towing I really love my Rv275(Bosch 300)/Drag comp set up. I have the power to white smoke 33's without even spooling it up, but with the huge AFE, on stage 3x3 it still moves but won't break 1100*. You'll just need a clutch cause the stock one won't like that. But honestly thats good cheap power. An edge with attitude would work well too, because it has gauges incorporated.
Sean

#10 ·
GOAT said:
Yall think it is a good deal or should i wait for another, assuming that it is clean and has no hickups. I do mostly daily driving but do haul some(hay(18round bales),tracktors(JD4440), horse trailer). What injectors should I get and what chip/programer. Not looking to get major power but just want it to have some balls.
A Edge Comp will produce so serious power. I'm fairly stock fueled but I tend to still break the tires loose without trying hard...:sly:

A Edge Comp stacked with a Smarty will spin a clutch without thinking... Still with stock injectors...:sly:

I would take care of the gauges and fuel system upgrade first thing. Upgrade to a Vulcan Big Line kit and a good fuel pump before you even think of buying sticks...

#11 ·
well thanks for the input but i just found out the truck has flood damage! So its a no go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.