The Diesel Garage banner

DPF theif!!!!!

6K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  D-Man 
#1 ·
This past friday night i was out driving around and out to dinner with my girlfriend. we got back around 10. come saturday morning when i went to leave for a family party i went to start my truck and it sounded funny and lights showed up and it started idling rough. i wasnt sure what was wrong with it and my friend who works on these things came over and finally looked under the truck and found some of my sensors were unpluged and the exhasut was cut right before the flange on the dpf and cat. seems to me as someone knows what they are doing and tried to steal this thing or just doesnt like me much. we got a 4inch id/od connector and hooked it back up and its fine, but im not sure what to do as far as ford goes. I havnt called them yet or let police know...figured i would get some good ideas from you guys first. let me know

#4 ·
them dpfs and cats probably bring good money at the junkyard

#5 ·
Did you park too close to someone in a parking lot one day and burn their paint off? LOL

#6 ·
I know of a major fleet that had over $100,000 woth of cats and DPFs stolen in one weekend.

Fortunately, the DPFs are serialized, so whomever turns it in can be arrested for possession of stolen property.

#7 ·
why would you want to steal a dpf?:shrug:

#11 ·
There are ALL types of precious metals inside both the DPF and the DOC, as well as gasser catalytic converters. These are primarily Platinum and Palladium, but there are others as well.

#14 ·
Wow! Im an officer in NJ, I have not heard of this happening anywhere near me yet. Guess I will keep an eye on mine and where I park it. I would definately get the police report and make a claim through insurance to fix it the right way, so that you are still covered by warranty under ford. Sorry to hear this happened to you, people are f***** up! And criminals will do anything for money!

#15 ·
At first I thought you were just kidding by being sarcastic that you took it off yourself. Man sorry to hear about that people are idiots these days. If I see some jackass crawling under my truck with a sawzall now I know what he is after :sly: ! But good luck with all of that man I hope it works out for the best!

#16 ·
It's platinum (like John_G mentioned) in catalytic's that make them expensive, so I guess it's the same in the dpf's, if size makes a difference, then these garbage can size dpf's must be worth a fortune.
But it's mostly junkies doing it, not like they are entrepreneurs or anything, they're probably only getting 20-30 bucks, but hey that's a bag.
We recently had a case in the next town over where a shop owner came in on Saturday morning and found legs sticking out from under one of his customers cars, turns out the guy was stealing the cat and the scissors jack some how slipped out and he was crushed to death. Was probably a slow death, the sad thing is I had just met this guy a couple of weeks earlier as I was doing work at his fathers house, he didn't seem the type but I guess looks can be deceiving.

#17 ·
Well...........

I am "NOT ONE" to think that maybe someone deserves death because of them trying to rip something off of your truck but gezzzzz....:damnit
Copper wire is the big one out in my neck of the woods.
Last year we had over 400 homes without heat for 4-5 days cause the meth heads were yanking it off of the poles. One was electrocuted.
OPPS!!
Thank you MRBOHN23 for serving:Thumbup:
~Mike~:usflag

#18 ·
Maybe the guy gutted his dpf and got stuck in regen and instead of buying a new one he thought he would take somebody elses...Which doesnt make it right, the DA should goto jail as far as im concerned..

#19 ·
seapig said:
I am "NOT ONE" to think that maybe someone deserves death because of them trying to rip something off of your truck but gezzzzz....:damnit
Last year we had over 400 homes without heat for 4-5 days cause the meth heads were yanking it off of the poles. One was electrocuted.
OPPS!!

You are very welcome seapig!

#20 ·
seapig said:
OPPS!!
Of course I agree with you, no one would wish death to some one's kid who commits a petty crime even, if it were against you. but for what you're talking about there with an attack on a public utility, putting other peoples lives at risk by freezing in their homes or having critical medical equipment shut down, to me that is an act of terrorism and does deserve a death sentence, on the spot, like the shoot to kill order given in California to anyone seen lighting those brush fires, which is way beyond just the crime of arson, IMO.

#21 ·
In my area copper wire is big but I have heard of Cataleytic converter thieves and I heard that a dealership had about 30 stolen off the lot one time. It isn't very smart though because the first thing the cops do is call all of the scrap yards to notify them and when they turn it in they call the cops and they show up before they leave.

#23 ·
The DPF filter alone here in Canada is $3600.00 C. So I think they're gonna be a hot item eventually. Especially when warranties start running out.

#24 ·
Seems copper wire is the deal up here in the NW. I've seen people behind there houses with truck loads of wire, and they sit there a burn it off. Talk about throwing some smoke, you'd think they would get caught with the amount of smoke they throw up.

#25 ·
Some of the guys on Audi forums have had this same thing happen in the Bay area

#26 ·
FordGuy100 said:
Seems copper wire is the deal up here in the NW. I've seen people behind there houses with truck loads of wire, and they sit there a burn it off. Talk about throwing some smoke, you'd think they would get caught with the amount of smoke they throw up.

The thermoplastic used in insulation is rather toxic. Avoid inhaling that smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.