bikes banned - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mae, this thread has received 65 replies and been viewed 6295 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
mae

Angry bikes banned

Has anyone heard about 50's, 70's,and 80's being pulled off the shelves. There's supposed to be a new law (This month) taking all dirt bikes that size off the sales floors. They are for age 12, and currently restricted. I checked government recalls, and it seems to be true. I wonder if the small dirt bikes from China have also been recalled. The labels on those say they are for age 16 or older. If it is that way, it aint right. Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki can't sell their bikes, but(if I'm right) Chinese companies can sell theirs because of the difference in labeling. If anyone knows the whole truth, please let me and the other folks know. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
Yeah, the ATV sites I am on is up in arms over this. It is so stupid. KTM dealerships are going ynder as a result. Most of what they sell ate 80CC and below.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Here is a link.

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/...on-waiver.aspx

This is from Hemmings Web Site

Motorcycles
Small displacement dirt bike ban in effect

Do not eat this motorcycle!
photo courtesy KTM
We could easily retitle this “The law of unintended consequences.” In August of 2008, Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. The act was primarily in reaction to the recent influx of lead-contaminated toys from China. Unfortunately, the CPSIA requires manufacturers of the outrageously broad “Childrens Products” to meet increasingly stringent lead paint and lead content standards and to certify, based on third party testing, that the products meet the act’s requirements.

One of the products that falls into this category is dirt bikes under 80cc. Dirt bikes from every major manufacturer meeting this description (Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha) all use paint with little or no lead, which would easily comply with the most stringent requirements. However, some alloy materials commonly used in the manufacture of motorcycles may inherently contain levels of lead that are (or might be) above the current limits set forth in the act. As a result, beginning on February 10, 2009, motorcycles of 80cc and smaller are no longer available for purchase in the United States.

The straight dope here is that the act was originally set forth to prevent lead content in toys that might be mouthed by small children, not motorcycles. (I suppose we should add that it’s not safe to drink the gas in the tank, pour the acid from the battery in your eyes or to lick the chain at any time either.)

Doesn’t sound like a big deal? Take KTM into consideration for a moment: KTM is the top-selling European motorcycle manufacturer selling bikes in the United States. It beats BMW by a wide margin every year. Why? Because an incredibly large segment of its bikes are 80cc and under. KTM dealers are also normally small, Mom and Pop-run shops that will feel a potentially fatal bite from sales in an already hostile business environment. This act will put KTM dealers out of business.

What can you do? Contact your Congressional delegation and Senators and urge them to ensure that small motorcycles and ATVs are exempted from the lead-content provisions of the Act.
- By Craig Fitzgerald
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonesome7.3 For this addition to TDG:
mae (02-20-2009)
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
mae
Threadstarter

Thanks for looking into it. I thought all the dirt bikers should know what's up.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

I posted this a week or so ago,...all the info is in my thread,...and who to contact to get this stopped.

Here is the original thread....find the link in this thread for the letter to stop this.

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=70359

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 AM

If they are attacking the dirt bikers, it is just a matter fo time before quad riders are hit as well.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 AM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
If they are attacking the dirt bikers, it is just a matter fo time before quad riders are hit as well.

I'm guessing you didn't click the link to my thread...

Bikes, ATV's, go-carts, snowmobiles,...all of them have been pulled off the shelf,...from 110cc and lower..

Click my link to where I already posted this....and you can see pics, and read for yourself.

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 AM

I meant all ATV's in general. I know the smaller ones have been targeted. I do see this as a step closer to getting rid of all of them.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 AM

Go carts too? Now I'm pissed!!!

2007 2500 4X4 6.7 AUTO MEGA, DPF AND EGR DELETE, 2.5" LEVEL KIT, 33" TOYO MTs
2010 3500 4x4 6.7 AUTO CREW CAB
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 AM

It is sickening isn't it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode