Coal Diesel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by WNYPA, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1106 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?

Send a message via AIM to WNYPA
Coal Diesel?

Anyone heard any of this???

Coal turned into a gasious state, then liquified, comes out clear, and burns cleaner than Bio, or regular diesel, with better performance or so they claim...

see here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1343604.shtml

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
In Proud Support of Fat Kid Pullers! Keep on Pullin Joe and Brian!!! :bow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Very good article... Very interesting... Sound like a process that has been proven to work for Hitler...why not here??

Phil
[B]2003 GMC 2500HD
It's got a few things done to it....
with more to come.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM

another Article on the Process..

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/fue.../420f00036.pdf

Phil
[B]2003 GMC 2500HD
It's got a few things done to it....
with more to come.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Got Diesel?
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to WNYPA
Wonder if this is somthing that van be made at home, if they were making it in the hitler era in industry, no reason I can't do it in my garage.

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
In Proud Support of Fat Kid Pullers! Keep on Pullin Joe and Brian!!! :bow:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYPA
Wonder if this is somthing that van be made at home, if they were making it in the hitler era in industry, no reason I can't do it in my garage.
If it's the current process for synthesizing #2, it is most likely *not* a home process.

I believe the process involves superheating the carbon/hydrogen source with steam under very high pressure. This causes the molecules to separate into their component atoms (or ions). Maintaining the high temp/high pressure conditions, the mixture is passed over/through a catalyst to form new molecules. Holding the mix at one temp will produce #2 oil; holding it at some other temp will produce gasoline.

As I understand, this process works real well with natural gas; some of the large oil companies are building gas-to-liquid (GTL) plants in the middle-east, where there is a superabundance of natural gas and no way to ship it cheaply. Liquid fuel is much cheaper, easier and safer to ship.

Do a web search for "gas to liquid" fuel. You'll find quite a bit of eye-opening information. Very good lubricity, 70 cetane, no nitrogen or sulphur in the fuel, and no aromatics are a few of the details.... http://www.energy.ca.gov/afvs/vehicl...heets/gtl.html is a good place to start.

N
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
here

There are plans in the works for coal to diesel plant in my area, whether it happens or not depends on the price of fuel, an article I read about it awhile back stated that it would be $3 a gallon to be feasible, at least that is what I seem to remember.

Brady

2002 Ford F350 Crew cab, 4x4, XLT, 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, AIS filter kit, 6 speed, Ali-arc aluminum frontend replacement
88' Ford F250, 4x4, 7.3L Diesel, Banks Sidewinder, 5 spd, flatbed, feed-truck
78' Ford F250 supercab, Dana 60's, C-6 and a slightly modified 400m- dead, soon to be a 460. 6" skyjacker lift with 38.5 boggers, play-truck
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 AM

Dosent sound like the best idea to me. Still burning fossil fuels, those still arent renewable fuels the last I heard. I wont support that, but I will support Bio-D and Ethanol.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ick
Dosent sound like the best idea to me. Still burning fossil fuels, those still arent renewable fuels the last I heard. I wont support that, but I will support Bio-D and Ethanol.
When I have the cash to play with, I'll convert a TDI to run on ethanol. And I'll print a bumper sticker for it: "We Run On Ethanol"

N
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:24 AM

Black diamond fuel, i would buy that !!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM

Yeah, Fischer-Tropsch has been around since the 1920s. Actually, what F-T does is make a feedstock usable in most refineries for both gasoline and diesel.

Back in the late 70s the DOE funded a pilot plant at Catlettsburg, KY for an improved F-T process called H-Coal. H-Coal did indeed produce more feedstock per ton of coal and it refined quite nicely into synthetic gasoline and diesel at the adjacent refinery.

H-Coal worked as advertised but it had some downsides. The process generates a waste product that is called “char.” Char is mostly ash and the unreacted carbon from the coal. Char could, I suppose, be burned in a fluidized bed boiler but it is very high in ash and sulfur and hard to ignite. I doubt any other type of combustor could burn this stuff soothe DOE, back then simply landfilled the stuff. Figure 800 to 900 pounds of char per ton of coal reacted. The show-stopper is cost. H-Coal would have been competitive if gasoline had been selling for $3/gallon (1980 dollars). What would a 1980 dollar be worth today? Are we talking $5/gallon?

Another show-stopper are the federal New Source Review regs – 40 CFR 52.21. These are the regs that have prevented any new refineries from being built since Jerry Ford was President. (Actually a small refinery was permitted last year but that is the first since 1976.) The body of regs surrounding refineries and chemical plants is so daunting I doubt one would ever be built in the US.

I don’t look for synfuels to pull our fat from the fire unless there is some serious rationalization of environmental regulations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode