Who makes it? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rich, this thread has received 27 replies and been viewed 2045 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Who makes it?

Bio-diesel..... anyone here tried it? Anyone tried to make the stuff? I'd like to hear about a "home made" system....something that really works. Anyone tried it yet?

Is there a commercial producer here? Does anyone know someone that is a commercial producer of Bio-Diesel? :shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Several people here make it. I use it all the time. It's easy once you build a little confidence. Look at http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/ it is a good start. I use 55gal drums to make mine. I like the appleseed processors in theory but I've never used one.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Should be a pretty hot topic with fuel aiming @ 3.00 bucks a gallon pretty soon. ....seems kind'a like a dead topic?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

I think most of us probably spend time on the bio forums when discussing fuel. I come here for truck talk and go there for fuel talk. I will help out however I can on here just ask any questions you want.

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

"400" club wannabe
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM

akapparos :Thumbup:

I am getting my equipment lined up as we speek with a buddie of mine. I have been reading alot online at about alot of the different methods and everyone says that there process works the best, which I can understand. My question to you is how do you make it and what kind of settup do you use??? Thankyou in advance for any advice and methods you can help me with.

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD CrewCab 4X4 G56
2012 PJ 40' Dual Tandem Flat Bed
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

[QUOTE=Motown Fire]akapparos :Thumbup:

I am getting my equipment lined up as we speek with a buddie of mine. I have been reading alot online at about alot of the different methods and everyone says that there process works the best, which I can understand. My question to you is how do you make it and what kind of settup do you use??? Thankyou in advance for any advice and methods you can help me with.

I use two 55 gal. drums. One for processing and one for washing. I subscribe to the cheap is good :Thumbup: cheaper is better method of processing.

I heat my oil with a turkey cooker and mix the methanol and lye in a plastic Wal-Mart kerosene jug. I don't mind shaking it manually. I personally use 4g of lye plus the titration result per liter of oil and haven't had any problems yet. Some recommend 3.5g and some 5g so I split the difference for my base value.

I heat my oil to at least 280* to make sure all the water is out then let it cool to 130* before adding the methanol. I stir it with a heavy duty paint mixer for 3 min. every 15 min. for 1 hour then let it settle for another 2 hours. I drain off the glycerin and transfer the bio to the wash tank. I fill the wash tank by using a mist method then bubble wash with that water over night. I drain the water off and aggressively spray the tank full again and bubble wash. I have been trying the aggressive washing during my second wash and it has worked real well so far. I haven't made a final decision on whether I will do this all the time though.

TIPS:
Titrate at least twice with the same result.
Get good scales and syringes
Make sure you have plenty of room to set up your work area(you will still need more....but I tried to warn you.)
Keep your equipment clean
Big batches are more forgiving than small batches

If you guys want lots of details pm me and I will give you my number and we can discuss it on the phone. This is just the basics and by no means does this encompass the whole process.

I can try to get some pics this weekend if you want.

"400" club wannabe
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in seeing some pics whenever you have a chance. I am open to any and all advice and ideas. Thanks again.......

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD CrewCab 4X4 G56
2012 PJ 40' Dual Tandem Flat Bed
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Alex, what would you guess your cost per gallon is?

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Super Enthusiast

I'm in the process of building an appleseed with the standpipe washtank. I've got a 50 gal electric waterheater and a 55 gal metal drum so far and the best part is they were both free. I've been searching for cheap or cheaper ball valves right now. I'm building this in my shed which is about 50 yards from the house for safety. I have yet to check with my local authorities about legality though. Hopefully mid summer I will be making fuel. We'll see.

Tony

2002 DODGE 4WD QUAD CAB 2500, SUNCOAST 47RE W/TRIPLE DISK AND BILLET INPUT SHAFT, F.A.S.S, 2 INCH LEVELING SPACERS, FP,BOOST,PYRO,TRANS GAUGES, 5 INCH STRAIGHT PIPEDon: 10K+miles on B100 18.3mpg (BEST)

2003 TDI GOLF (WIFE'S) 50+ MPG

1985 1.6L n/a diesel GOLF, FULL 3 INCH EXHAUST 45 MPG ON FIRST TANK

66' CHEVELLE SS BB468", TH400, 9" W/LOCKER, MOSER AXLES
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Pic's please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode