What would it take???? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by diesel dan, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 779 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Destroked

What would it take????

What would it take to be able to run E85 in a carburated engine? I just filled our Explorer up with E85 and began to think.....Ethanol is like 108 octane or so, my little Ranger loves higher octane fuel. It pings less and runs a little smoother. Until I can get around to put my 4D55T diesel in my Ranger I would like to burn Ethanol in it and give my back to the American Farmer. I would like to keep from giving those people over-sea's as much money as possible. I think someone told me once that the fuel lines and o-rings that they use in a regular gasoline setup is to weak, as Ethanol is more corrosive on rubber and other materials. Im sure I would have to retard the ignition timing due to the higher octane fuel but i'm not sure about all the technical stuff.....:watchout

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

Seriously....nobody knows......

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 PM

Your gaskets wiill take a beating! Anything rubber that that fuel touches. Im not sure when, but sometime a while ago, vehicles were built to accept 10 percent ethanol..

I just got my E85 F150. It adjusts timing to the mount of ethanol that is run... So will you lose perfomance with ethanol? I cant answer that....Im not so sure you did a smart thing or not...

This might help
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

read the whole site
http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Destroked
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU
So will you lose perfomance with ethanol? I cant answer that....Im not so sure you did a smart thing or not...
Our Explorer runs 10 times better!!! Idles smoother and throttle response is better. MPG wise, its still getting the same on the message center, and it is within 1-3 tenths of a gallon....

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 AM

Well, I hope tat site helped. My truck, built for E85, gets about 20% worse fuel milage on E85 than normal gas. I have not read a ton about it, but I have never read it increases fuel milage, always down by a significant value.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Haulin' Azz

I think this does a good job answering all your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode