My "I'm broke but I got time" Bio-Diesel Processor - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by akapparos, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 2885 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21

My "I'm broke but I got time" Bio-Diesel Processor

Okay, I know I have said that I would post some pics for a long time now. I guess better late than never.

This is my personnal processor and may not work for everyone and should only be used as a guideline. If you are poor (or cheap) like me this is probably as low cost as you can get and still make fairly large batches of Bio. This processor is constantly evolving as I find more parts and free stuff I can use.

TIPS:
Junk yards are your friend.
Thrift stores are your friend.
Dumpster diving and trash picking is strongly encouraged.

Processor

Materials needed:
Drums- 55 and/or 35 gal
Bed frames or other scrap metal
drill bits
heat source ( old turkey cookers are great)
Big chunk of something heavy (I used a 4x4 post)
various little bits of plumbing (there's no hard rule on this just make sure they are galvanized)

Step 1
Cut the top off the Drum and grind/file/beat the sharp edges off.

Step 2
Use the big chunk of something heavy to beat the bottom of the drum until it is rounded out. Try to keep the beating in the center of the drum so it drains completely.

Step 3
Make a frame for the drum to sit on. I used old bed frames you can usually get for free out of the trash.

Step 4
Weld a pipe flange to the bottom of the drum that will accept 3/4 inch pipe on the small side. Make sure to grind off the galvanized finish before welding. After it is welded, drill several holes in the bottom of the drum inside the footprint of the flange.

Here is a close up

Step 5
Attach a pipe nipple to the flange followed by a valve and fittings that you choose to get the product out of the drum and into buckets. You can see the rounding of the bottom in this pic.

Step 6
The final step is attaching the heat source. I used the guts out of a turkey fryer and mounted it accordingly. Your heat source is going to determine how you mount it.

That's it, You're done with the basic processor.

I use the below processor for small batches and to break any emulsion I might get

I have a total of about $15 invested in this processor but I can get drums for free. Add the price of a drum and you should be in the ballpark.

ON TO THE WASH DRUM!:Thumbup:

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21
Threadstarter

WASH DRUM

You can use the exact same drum setup as the processor to wash your diesel or you can make a standpipe system like what are all over the web. I am going to focus on the stuff I use to actually wash the product.

I mist and bubble wash my fuel so that is what I will show you.

Materials:
Copper tubing
Air pump
garden hose
Sprayer

Step 1
Making the bubble washer
I found some copper tubing at a thrift store that came off the ice maker of a fridge. They gave it to me for free. Crimp one end of the tubing shut with a pliers and coil it to fit inside your wash drum. File the copper tube until you can poke holes in it with a needle(don't make too many holes until you test it. You can always add more holes later)

Bend the tubing over the top of the drum and put a fitting on the end to attach to the air tubing. I bought a Wal-Mart aquarium pump and tubing to use.

Make sure you use the check valves on your air lines so they don't siphon fuel when the pump is turned off.

Step 2
The mist washer

Buy a Wal-Mart sprayer for $1 and hook it to your garden hose then hang it over the drum however you can.

That's all there is to it. I let the mist flow in until the drum is full then drain it. I fill it again with the mist then turn on the air and let it bubble over night. I drain it again the next day and check the water. If it is cloudy still, I fill the drum and give it a slow stir with the paint mixer and let it sit. That is usuall enough to wash it thoroughly. I then turn the air back on to help the fuel dry. Total cost including the pump is less than $30.

ON TO STORAGE!

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21
Threadstarter

Storage for the finished product.

Materials:
Drum
Pump
Tubing
Filter

I bought a drum pump at Harbor Freight, a home water filter at Lowes, and tubing and fittings at Lowes. I pour the finished product into the drum through a funnel in the small bung and pump it out through the tube and filter straight into the truck.

I have less than $50 invested in this drum.

On to the MISC. STUFF!

"400" club wannabe
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21
Threadstarter

Here are pictures of the misc. stuff that I use.

Titration stuff:
Wife's canning jars,Wal-Mart measuring cup and scale to weigh Lye, and Duct tape for labels.

The processor mixer:

The processor lid:
Yes it is a storm window.

RAW OIL STORAGE:
I use a canning collander to strain the oil before it goes into the storage drums through my custom funnel. I then pump it out as needed for batches of fuel.

The strainer.

The custom funnel.

Total expense for these items came to about $30.

That about wraps it up I guess. I bought almost everything at thrift stores or Wal-Mart and found or salvaged everything else.

It's ugly but it works. Welcome to my world.:drinkingbuddies:

"400" club wannabe
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:29 PM
fordt

That's awesome, but I failed science class

You did a really good job, have you ran a batch through the truck yet?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21
Threadstarter

I've been running it for more than a year with no problems.

"400" club wannabe
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:09 PM

Thanks for all the pics with good explanation. I am in the process of building basically what you have there.

"If you are poor (or cheap) like me" True words of a fireman!

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD CrewCab 4X4 G56
2012 PJ 40' Dual Tandem Flat Bed
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:46 AM
4cstr

Thats so cool. When you were running it this winter...did you discover any temperatures that you began to have gelling problems with it?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #21
Threadstarter

I stopped running it when it got below 40*. I did some testing this past winter and mixing it 50/50 then adding the powerservice winter blend kept it from gelling. I never ran the blend though. I used the time to stock up on fuel for the summer price hike.

"400" club wannabe
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 PM

hey I was in that garage today

-Charley, 1995 Nissan hardbody, single cab,2.4 i-4, 5spd, straight piped - 4.5in tip, 2x Rockford Fosgate R1's

Quote:
"I Caught that diesel thing, now it stings when I pee"
The Diesel Garage.com
Can You Keep Up??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode