Hydrogen is a Hoax - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Smokem, this thread has received 22 replies and been viewed 2070 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Hydrogen is a Hoax

Reading today about Hyrdogen.
In a nutshell.
They use Natural Gas to make Hydrogen
Natural Gas produces TONS of CO2 (literally)
Natural Gas is a fossil fuel.

Why are we even trying to make Hyrdogen vechiles again?

BioDiesel is the only future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
...........BioDiesel is the only future.
I agree 100% with that statement!

-Charley, 1995 Nissan hardbody, single cab,2.4 i-4, 5spd, straight piped - 4.5in tip, 2x Rockford Fosgate R1's

Quote:
"I Caught that diesel thing, now it stings when I pee"
The Diesel Garage.com
Can You Keep Up??
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 AM

I thought the byproduct of hydrogen was water:shrug: ?

2004 F350 Built by Ford fixed by PDR Diesel, Xtreme tuned by InnovativeDiesel, gauges by ISSPRO
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 AM

http://www.eere.energy.gov/RE/hydrogen.html

Ok not only is water the by product of hydrogen it's also one source of making hydrogen.

2004 F350 Built by Ford fixed by PDR Diesel, Xtreme tuned by InnovativeDiesel, gauges by ISSPRO
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw6oh
http://www.eere.energy.gov/RE/hydrogen.html

Ok not only is water the by product of hydrogen it's also one source of making hydrogen.

Yes your right, when it's combusted. But to actually make Hydrogen the process uses Natural gas, you can't just pull Hydrogen out of no where. Actually you can, just not on earth.

If there was a easy way to make hydrogen, it would be the future.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM

H2o

>>you can't just pull Hydrogen out of no where

but you can pull it out of water :-).

How about using solar power to separate H & O2?
Then we could store the H indefinitely to run fuel cells etc.

not my idea... it's being done now... it's just more expensive that using fossil fuels right now. it's all about the mighty $.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack_ga
>>you can't just pull Hydrogen out of no where

but you can pull it out of water :-).

How about using solar power to separate H & O2?
Then we could store the H indefinitely to run fuel cells etc.

not my idea... it's being done now... it's just more expensive that using fossil fuels right now. it's all about the mighty $.
IN GERMANY THEY ARE USING A ELECTRO CHARGE SYSTEM TO CONVERT WATER INTO HYDROGEN AND IT POWERS A 348 HP BMW
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Diesel Pro

in theory, you should be able to separate a water molecule. If you were able to, you would form O2 and H+ and you could release the 02 and capture the H+Ions. Sometimes also, you can make several different reactions that separate the hydrogen and the oxygen atoms and bond with the 02 ions and Hydrogen is given off. That being said, hydrogen is much more likely to be pulled from that molecule because it only has 1 electron and oxygen needs two, therefore it is H20. There are ways to do it, like maybe bombarding the water with beta particles and causing it to separate, and forming two different products.
EDIT: i looked at my Chem book and Natural gas contains mostly Methane (CH4), with small amounts of Ethane(C2H6), and propane(C3H8) and Butane (C4H10)
The fuel value of natural gas is 49 kJ/g whereas Hydrogens fuel value is 142 kJ/g. Our gasoline contains 48kJ/g. If we were able to produce Hydrogen from a mixture of all of these gases would "should" have enough Hydrogen to support us, although like any other non renewable energy source, like gas and oil, this method would eventually run out. So i still think we need to pursue means of producing hydrogen from water, because this would yield a renewable energy source and would be clean. Take water, insert into tank, drive car, water is produced, refill with water. Wouldnt that be neat?

im tired now, so im gonna go study for my calculus 2 test on wednesday and my chemistry 1 test for tomorrow.

2006 Dodge 2500 2wd QC SB 5.9 Cummins, 48RE Auto, 4" Exhaust, TS MPD W/HUD, Airaid Intake, 6k HIDs, GoGo Built Tranny, BDTD with Crazy Larry
13.85 @ 99 MPH
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Formerly NATTYGASMECH

hydrogen no hoax

Isn't that BMW hitting outrageous speeds like 200 or so?:93C_peelo You know I have done research on this in the past and one added benefit to hydrogen as a fuel is that you pull polluted air into the engine and actually combust some of the pollutants, thus further helping to clean the air!!! Lets see second it has a far greater energy potential. Yes electricity is a good source of generating hydrogen. It's just the source of the electricity that is currently the problem. Coal is still a major contributor to our electrical supply. :barf: Anyone live in an area where the wind blows constantly? There you go another source of electrical generation. Solar and wind technologies are catching up. Especially in remote areas where you don't have the option to live on the grid. They are just not as supported by our oilionaire government as others.:snipersmilie: Other countries are leaps and bounds on the alternative fuels. I just thought of something else. Over the road diesels, big rigs:smoke , have started using a hydrogen generator to help offset fuel costs. It is run by electricity and right now is quite sizeable. That will surely go the way things do and decrease in size as technology and understanding of things improve.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

in using water are you talking fresh water cause isn't it somethin like only 30percent of our water is fresh water or can salt water be used? because we would in turn be depleating yet another natural resource.

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode