Running B100 Need Help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DODGEDIESEL2500, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1009 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Running B100 Need Help

Well I Am Know Running Homemade B100. I Have A Couple Of Questions. 1st The Vegy Oil We Satrted With Came From A Chinese Reastaurant And It Looks Really Nice But It Is Very Dark In Color. Even After We Peocessed It Into Fuel The Glycern Settled Out But Still Remained Very Dark Amber Color. Is This Okay? Also The Truck Seems To Run Fine On It After It Is Warmed Up. But When I Fisrt Start In The Morning In The 55-60 Degree Weather It Idle's Very Rough Spits And Chugs. I Believe This Is From The Fuel Being To Thick As It Looked Thick Even Before I Put Into My Tank. The Truck Runs Fine After The Truck Is Warm. The Final Thing Is This Thing Pours Out The Blue Smoke, Not When I Am On The Throttle Like The Old Black Petro Diesel Smoke, But This Thing Even Just Sitting There Dumps It Out Hot Or Cold. And When Going Down The Road There Is This Blue Haze Every Where I Go. The Smoke Has A Very Strong Smell Mix Of Fryer Oil And Chemicals. I Do Not Thing These Symptoms Are Normal And Would Like To Figure Out Before Next Big Batch. Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
SRW Cartell #27

The color of the finished product is normal. My origional oil is as dark as Pepsi but the finished product is so dark you cannot see thought it with out a light source. The thing is make sure it is not hazy or foggy. The color is dirrectly related to the color of the origional oil.

If the oil is to thick it will be hard starting and may be the reason for the blue smoke at idel. What mix are you using. I use 20-22% methenal mix with my oil. . That keeps it running thin and more like actual diesel fuel. When i get on it the truck does smoke blue and it is more then normal diesel but not at idel. I think that is related to the thickness of the oil.

Check your calculations:deal: on the methenal and if you are running less than 20% add more bring it up to 20 and see how that does.

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks For All Your Help, The Last Batch We Made Was 20% Methanol, But I Might Have Calculated A Little Off. It Is Thinner Than Regular Wvo, But Still Seems To Thick For Regular Fuel. But My Fuel Is Clean Not Hazy Or Cloudy. It Sounds Like All Of My Problems May Be Related To The Thickness Of The Fuel Itself. I Was Told By A Diesel Tech That The Truck Smooths Out After It Is Warm, Because It Thins Out The Fuel As It Warms Up. Makes Me Feel Better That Your Fuel Is Dark As Well, Mine Starts Out As Dark As Cola As Well, And When Finished Need A Light Behind It To Really Be Able To See Through. Thanks For All Your Help
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
SRW Cartell #27

No problem sounds like your on your way just fine.:Thumbup: . Let me know if you need any other help .. It sounds like our oil is about the same if not real close.

My truck seems to love the home brew. It runs quieter and i think it is more responsive than normal petro diesel.
Keep brewin
:HappyMugs

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

You shouldn't be having those issues with your truck even at those temps. It almost sounds like incomplete processing going on. The truck warming up and it smoothing out kind of confirms that. You can have product that isn't completely processed look crystal clear. That is what you look for to make sure it is dry. How long do you let it process before you drain off the glycerin? How do you wash it? Reprocess a liter of your fuel to confirm it is completely processed. You need to do this before you wash it. You can use the Dr. Pepper method for that. The Dodge's love this stuff and there shouldn't be any side effects to running it.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 02:00 AM

I was thinking incomplete processing too.

Re-process, then titrate future batches.

Are you washing the BD?

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd