Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Article - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fordt, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 10402 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
fordt

Exclamation Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Article

:Thumbup: Good info in here, so we make it Sticky :Thumbup: Thanks to Jody Tipton from DP Tuner for finding this article :thanks:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ultra_Low_Sulfur_Diesel.pdf (956.0 KB, 425 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Great (sales) article, and there is a lot of good information there.

I take issue with a few of the assertions the author makes.

1) Addatives are more easy to justify now. Nope. What the Author fails to mention, is that the refiners will be adding lubricity agents to the fuel during the refining process to off-set the loss of the sulpher's lubricity. So, we should see a net lubricity IMPROVEMENT.

2) Addative improve mileage. Lots of firms make this claim, I have never seen any "double blind testing" that verifies it. Marketing claims are jsut that, claims.

3) Addatives can improve engine life. When you add something to the fuel, one of two things will happen. Either is IS burned, or it's NOT. If is IS burned, it cannot offer any lubrication. If you say well it's NOT burned, then it adds to the emissions. You cannot have it both ways.

Finally there is a BIG difference between the follwing two statements:

"Recommended FOR brand X, Y, Z engines to...."

and

"Recommended BY brand X for their engines to...."

You will NEVER see that second statement, because it would be a lie.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:05 PM

I really don't think were looking at ULSD Fuel the right way here.

Were looking at and worrying about our past engines.

Why not the future?

ULSD Fuel let's much more technology to be added to future diesel engines. I know there will be issues with our older diesel engines, but I think the diesel engine's best days are still yet to come.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 AM

From what I have read, sulfer DOES NOT improve lubricity of fuel. In fact, sulfer provides relitively no lubricity to fuel. It is the actual process of removing the sulfer that removes other lubricity properties of diesel fuel?

Comments>???
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Hi I am new to the board. I have a 2007 F350 6.0 and Iam very concerned about the new low sulfer diesel fuel ,will it hurt my new 07. it appears that it is now the olny fuel available in the Puget Sound area.
Whats a guy to do?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

LSD (Low Sulpher Diesel) is all that was available as "road fuel" for many years, it will NOT hurt and 6.0L.

ULSD (Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel) is now readily available in most areas, and it too is COMPLETELY SAFE for your 6.0L engine, and all other International built engines back to 1994.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 AM

As the stickers on the pumps read, I thought that you HAD to run ULSD in 2007 and later vehicles?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G

1) Addatives are more easy to justify now. Nope. What the Author fails to mention, is that the refiners will be adding lubricity agents to the fuel during the refining process to off-set the loss of the sulpher's lubricity. So, we should see a net lubricity IMPROVEMENT.
You are assuming the "refiners" will honestly add said lubricants. that is the only worry I have.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:09 AM

Just do as most do and research your available additives and decide for your self which one seems best for your application and or the price range you want. Just remember that they are all going to claim to be the best to sell more so try to find outside info on the products your interested in.

Jay

11 GMC 3500 4x4 SLT Crew Cab

Dually club #78

Singles #19 Yeah I drive a Jeep too.

86 CJ7 Rebuilt from the frame up as a rockcrawler
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM

If I read the stickers on the pumps correct in my area (N, Ga) if states that Using ULSD in models 2007 and later is prohibited and may cause engine damage....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode