The Diesel Garage banner

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Article

16K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  sin43k 
G
#1 ·
:Thumbup: Good info in here, so we make it Sticky :Thumbup: Thanks to Jody Tipton from DP Tuner for finding this article :thanks:

Attachments

#2 ·
Great (sales) article, and there is a lot of good information there.

I take issue with a few of the assertions the author makes.

1) Addatives are more easy to justify now. Nope. What the Author fails to mention, is that the refiners will be adding lubricity agents to the fuel during the refining process to off-set the loss of the sulpher's lubricity. So, we should see a net lubricity IMPROVEMENT.

2) Addative improve mileage. Lots of firms make this claim, I have never seen any "double blind testing" that verifies it. Marketing claims are jsut that, claims.

3) Addatives can improve engine life. When you add something to the fuel, one of two things will happen. Either is IS burned, or it's NOT. If is IS burned, it cannot offer any lubrication. If you say well it's NOT burned, then it adds to the emissions. You cannot have it both ways.

Finally there is a BIG difference between the follwing two statements:

"Recommended FOR brand X, Y, Z engines to...."

and

"Recommended BY brand X for their engines to...."

You will NEVER see that second statement, because it would be a lie.

#3 ·
I really don't think were looking at ULSD Fuel the right way here.

Were looking at and worrying about our past engines.

Why not the future?

ULSD Fuel let's much more technology to be added to future diesel engines. I know there will be issues with our older diesel engines, but I think the diesel engine's best days are still yet to come.

#6 ·
LSD (Low Sulpher Diesel) is all that was available as "road fuel" for many years, it will NOT hurt and 6.0L.

ULSD (Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel) is now readily available in most areas, and it too is COMPLETELY SAFE for your 6.0L engine, and all other International built engines back to 1994.

#8 ·
John_G said:
1) Addatives are more easy to justify now. Nope. What the Author fails to mention, is that the refiners will be adding lubricity agents to the fuel during the refining process to off-set the loss of the sulpher's lubricity. So, we should see a net lubricity IMPROVEMENT.
You are assuming the "refiners" will honestly add said lubricants. that is the only worry I have.

#9 ·
Just do as most do and research your available additives and decide for your self which one seems best for your application and or the price range you want. Just remember that they are all going to claim to be the best to sell more so try to find outside info on the products your interested in.

#11 ·
No, that should read "Using LSD on 2007 and Later emissions engines WILL cause damage and emissions control failure."

#12 ·
Just as a side note : Reading my owners manual for my 07 5.9L fuel requirements, it's stated that Daimler-Chrysler recommends the use of ULSD (15 PPM Sulfur) whenever it is available. Also goes on to state that vehicle is capable of operation on Low Sulfur Hwy Diesel (500 PPM sulfur) without the risk of damage to the emissions system.

Also states vehicle is fully compatible with biodiesel blends up to 5% biodiesel meeting ASTM spec D-6751.

Guess it does pay to read Owners Manual from cover to cover.......

#13 ·
My 1959 Mack B61T has been burning the ULSD with out any issues and it was designed for LHSD fuel aka Leaded High Sulfur Diesel.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.