Bio diesel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by NotaVegetarian, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 970 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Bio diesel?

Who can tell us the scoop on Bio Diesel, and Bio Diesel blends? I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly....

:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Read all the posts in the Bio/Alternative fuels section. There is a pile of info here including links to some of the better Bio websites. When you have had your brain fried by the tons of info out there ask all the questions you want and we will be more than happy to try and answer them. I personally love running bio and have no problems with it. The down side is finding lye and the time involved in making it. It is well worth it in my opinion though. It is hard to beat $0.54 per gallon.:Thumbup:

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapparos
. The down side is finding lye and the time involved in making it. :Thumbup:
Time is a factor that does not seem to every make it into the equation of the cost of the BD. If lye is an issue just buy Drano or Red Devil crystal drain cleaner, it is about 99% pure lye. The wife use it to peel peaches, she says the Red Devil is purer than the Drano. Read the label.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:40 PM

Bio is great. You can run it in any diesel engine, big or small. I have about 15,000 mile of running B100 in my truck. Makes your exhaust smell better also.

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD CrewCab 4X4 G56
2012 PJ 40' Dual Tandem Flat Bed
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeCar
If lye is an issue just buy Drano or Red Devil crystal drain cleaner, it is about 99% pure lye.
LargeCar :mafia
LC, 100% lye has been pulled from most shelves to try to stop the meth heads. You can buy what is left and when that runs out you are done. The companies have added powdered aluminum and other things to their drain openers to keep selling the crystal type drain openers. Tell your wife to be careful when she buys the stuff because she might start buying the kind with additives and not know it. Many of the bottles still advertise as lye but the MSDS sheets will tell you the true ingredients. Red Devil has stopped all production in the U.S. and many others are following suit.

Drano should not be used for making Bio. It is not anywhere near pure enough to get good conversion. It also has aluminum shavings that may react with the methanol and lye. I don't know if it will for sure but I don't think I want to try it. If anyone has tried it let me know how it worked out. I would be interested to see if the aluminum reacted or just settled out.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 AM

I have spent some money and made myself a nice biodiesel kit complete with a 80 Gallon water heater. I love making bio-diesel, it feels like revenge!

The only problem is find NON-hydronated Waste Vegy Oil.

Sources are hard to come by.

But my Cummins loves it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode