New Low Ash Oil - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Fossil Hunter, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 898 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

New Low Ash Oil

I read an article in the latest Diesel Power magazine which talked about newly formulated "low ash oil".
This oil is a requirement in 2007 trucks, but also stated it has advantages when used in older trucks as well. The main advantage being less sludge in the engine.
Shell Rotella was featured in the article, but I assume alot of oil makers will follow suit.
Any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM

Read that article too - sounds pretty promising, but also need to factor in the Rotella adverstising. I'm sure the other mfgs will follow with their versions. I'm hoping the Rotella synthetic will follow soon with similar improvements.

Mark
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

To this point, and likely very well past it, newer oil formulations have been significant improvements in terms of engine life and overall performance.

I cannot see whay this would change with CJ-4 oils, from any manufacturer.

The differences between standard and full-synthetic oils is steadily diminishing. I can see where the ONLY oils we can get will be synthetic based (and this is, IMO, a VERY good thing).

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
To this point, and likely very well past it, newer oil formulations have been significant improvements in terms of engine life and overall performance.

I cannot see whay this would change with CJ-4 oils, from any manufacturer.

The differences between standard and full-synthetic oils is steadily diminishing. I can see where the ONLY oils we can get will be synthetic based (and this is, IMO, a VERY good thing).

True!

Don't the sythetics already meet the low ash requirement already though?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM

The new oils coming out will be backwords compatable as well. Though not as good as the oil specs of today. Lower TBN is one draw back.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 (DEO) is the premium choice for API CJ-4 emission quality diesel oil required by model year 2007 and newer diesel engines. It delivers extraordinary lubrication in diesel engines found in commercial, fleet and personal vehicles. Built with the latest additive and synthetic base oil technology, AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, corrosion and wear. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40, with its broad viscosity range, is ideal for winter and summer use. It resists breakdown and can extend drain intervals when monitored by oil analysis.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

Exceeds Emission System Requirements
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil is a low sulfated ash formulation that exceeds the modern requirements for low emission quality diesel oil. It is compatible with all exhaust treatment devices and is designed to extend the service life of particulate filters.

Controls Soot Thickening and Wear
The advanced synthetic base oils in AMSOIL 5W-40 Diesel Oil are naturally resistant to soot contamination. That, along with a heavy fortification of detergent/dispersant additives, keeps soot particles suspended independently, helping prevent the formation of larger wear causing particles. Viscosity increase is minimized and soot related wear is controlled.

Maximizes Fuel Economy and Reduces Oil Consumption
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil has a very low high temperature volatility rate (burn off). Because less oil vapor passes into the combustion chamber, oil consumption and emissions are reduced. Additionally, lower volatility helps AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 retain its viscosity after high temperature service for continued dependable protection and excellent fuel economy.

Excels in Extreme Temperatures
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil resists thermal (heat) breakdown, oxidation and sludge formation better than conventional petroleum oils. And unlike conventional oils, AMSOIL 5W-40 contains no wax. It stays fluid in cold temperatures for improved oil flow, reduced bearing wear and easier starting.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil replaces 5W-40, 10W-40 and 15W-40 viscosity oils. It is “backwards compatible” with pre-2007 diesel engines and recommended for newer and older diesel and gasoline engines and other applications requiring the following worldwide specifications:

• API CJ-4, CI-4+, CH-4, CF
• API SM, SL, SJ...
• ACEA E7
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus
• DDC Power Guard 93K218
• Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-1
• Cummins CES 20081
• Volvo VDS-4
• MB 228.3
• MTU Type II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode